Worcester e Norwich - História

Worcester e Norwich - História


Al Southwick: Dia da Independência e o lugar de Worcester na história

Em 3 de julho de 1776, John Adams escreveu uma carta para sua esposa, Abigail, sobre a importante votação pela Independência que o Congresso Continental havia feito no dia anterior.

& ldquoO segundo dia de julho de 1776 será a Epocha mais memorável da história da América. Estou apto a acreditar que será celebrado, pelas gerações seguintes, como o grande Festival de aniversário. Deve ser comemorado como o Dia da Libertação por atos solenes de devoção a Deus Todo-Poderoso. Deve ser solenizado com Pompa e Desfile, com Espetáculos, Jogos, Esportes, Armas, Sinos, Fogueiras e Iluminações de uma ponta a outra deste Continente, deste Tempo em diante para sempre. Você pode pensar que sou transportado com entusiasmo, mas não estou. Estou bem ciente do Trabalho, Sangue e Tesouro que nos custará manter esta Declaração e apoiar e defender estes Estados. Ainda assim, através da escuridão, posso ver os raios de luz e glória arrebatadoras. Posso ver que o Fim vale mais do que todos os meios. E essa posteridade triunfará nessa transação dos dias. & rdquo

Embora Adams tenha listado 2 de julho como a data crucial, os historiadores determinaram que o Congresso realmente ratificou o documento dois dias depois, em 4 de julho. Mas sua carta eloqüente certamente resume o significado e a importância do Dia da Independência tão bem quanto qualquer coisa escrita desde então.

Os americanos foram rápidos em entender que o Dia da Independência era realmente um grande negócio. Em 18 de julho de 1777, o Virginia Gazette publicou um relato das festividades na Filadélfia & ndash & ldquowith demonstração de alegria e festividade & rdquo incluindo o disparo de canhões e o toque de sinos de igreja & ndash que pode ter sido a primeira celebração da Declaração no registro.

Worcester não estava muito atrás. Esta comunidade teve um grande interesse na Declaração. A primeira leitura pública do famoso documento no estado foi bem aqui em Worcester uma semana ou mais depois de 4 de julho de 1776, quando Isaiah Thomas, postmaster de Worcester, abriu um pacote endereçado a Boston e descobriu uma cópia da Declaração. Ele então o leu para uma reunião reunida em frente à Primeira Igreja do Common, sobre a posição atual da Prefeitura.

Thomas foi um patriota ardente e promotor incansável da independência das colônias. Ele provavelmente foi um dos organizadores da primeira celebração do Quarto Dia de Worcester & rsquos, em 8 de julho de 1779. O Massachusetts Spy, de propriedade e editado por Thomas, fez um relato completo da ocasião:

& ldquoA manhã daquele dia foi inaugurada pelo toque de sinos, o disparo de um canhão e a exibição da bandeira continental. Às 12 horas e rsquoclock, 13 canhões foram disparados. À noite, o Tribunal foi iluminado, 13 foguetes foram disparados e uma exibição de outros fogos de artifício, para grande satisfação de muitos amigos respeitáveis ​​e leais à causa comum de nossa nação, que estavam reunidos no Tribunal desta e de cidades adjacentes. Parabéns mútuos foram dados e uma série de brindes adequados para a ocasião foram bebidos. & Rdquo

É importante notar que essa celebração da liberdade americana ocorreu enquanto a guerra ainda estava em curso. As forças britânicas haviam sido expulsas de Boston, mas os britânicos dominaram Nova York e os combates estavam ocorrendo na Geórgia e na Carolina do Sul. A rendição de Lord Cornwallis & rsquo em Yorktown estava a mais de dois anos no futuro. A celebração da independência americana em 1779 foi uma notável demonstração de confiança, para não dizer atrevimento.

O Espião estava exultante: & ldquoÉ com prazer que informamos aos nossos leitores que o espírito de patriotismo agora está revivendo. Nada se quer agora para completar a salvação política deste país. & Rdquo

Nos anos posteriores, após o estabelecimento do governo federal, as comemorações do 4 de julho tornaram-se partidárias. Houve celebrações federalistas e celebrações republicanas (democratas), cada uma com seus rituais gerando feno político às custas do grupo rival. Oradores como Daniel Webster expuseram poderosamente sobre questões nacionais, freqüentemente longamente & ndash uma ou duas horas às vezes.

O quarto dia tornou-se realmente um feriado nacional após a Guerra Civil, quando o povo americano começou a redefinir a União, tão por pouco salva da divisão. A celebração de 1872 aqui em Worcester mostrou o novo espírito em todos os seus excessos ardentes. À meia-noite, relatou o Telegram, milhares de crianças e idosos saíram para inaugurar a Quarta com todo o barulho que podiam fazer. O pânico durou apenas uma hora e então a tampa continuou até o amanhecer.

& ldquoMorning trouxe mais emoção. Às 8h, a unidade da Bateria B disparou uma saudação de 22 tiros do topo de Bell Hill. A partir de então, a cidade rugiu com uma enxurrada quase constante de fogos de artifício e torpedos. As cidades do condado foram igualmente animadas com explosões, nem todas seguras. & Rdquo

Os eventos aqui em Worcester incluíram cinco bandas, incluindo os & ldquoStudelfunk Flunkies & rdquo e & ldquoThe Lowland Cadets. & Rdquo O desfile incluiu & ldquoLt. Hardtack, Major Sassafras Bones, Cirurgião e Capitão Slaymen. & Rdquo Só podemos esperar que todos eles estivessem politicamente corretos.

As festividades da cidade foram coordenadas pelo City Clerk Charles Benchley, pai do comediante Robert Benchley e bisavô de Peter Benchley, escritor de & ldquoJaws. & Rdquo Presumivelmente, todos se divertiram.

Esta coluna foi publicada pela primeira vez no Telegram & Gazette em 30 de junho de 2016.


Worcester e Norwich - História


A coleção de fotos a seguir (clique aqui) representa apenas um pequeno número de itens de interesse para historiadores e arquivistas. Para ter a oportunidade de estudar toda a coleção em primeira mão, entre em contato com Linda Davis, da Shrewsbury Historical Society.

Em 1880, Matthew John Whittall construiu uma fábrica em Worcester, na Southbridge Street, para a fabricação de tapetes e tapetes finos. A família Whittall viveu em sua residência na cidade até construir uma grande propriedade de verão branca na Geórgia em 1912. Para esta casa, Charles A. Kably, um corretor de imóveis de Worcester, vendeu ao Sr. Whittall 100 acres de terra no topo de Meetinghouse Hill em Shrewsbury, que tinha consistia em sete pedaços de propriedade de propriedade separada.

Juniper Hall, como o Sr. Whittall nomeou sua propriedade em Shrewsbury, tornou-se um
marco por muitos quilômetros ao redor. Tinha uma das melhores vistas da região central
Massachusetts por causa de sua localização no ponto mais alto de Shrewsbury.
Sua vista panorâmica inclui o Lago Quinsigamond e se estende além de Worcester até as colinas de Paxton e Rutland ao norte, podendo ser avistados os Mt. Monadnock e Mt. Wachusett.

Todos os cômodos da casa de dois andares eram grandes, especialmente os da
primeiro andar. A sala de recepção tinha um teto que se estendia até o segundo andar, com uma varanda ao redor. Também no primeiro andar havia uma copa, sala de música, sala de jantar, sala de estar e sala de café da manhã. Havia quatro lareiras, quatro quartos e uma grande sala de estar no segundo andar. O solário, que dava para jardins formais, cobria quase todo um lado da casa.

Jardinar era um hobby particular do Sr. e da Sra. Whitall. Juniper Hall
tornou-se um dos locais de exibição do Condado de Worcester, com seu layout de jardins formais, piscina e jardins de "colheita de flores". O terreno era famoso e conhecido por muitas pessoas, porque o público foi bem-vindo para visitar e ver as flores desabrochando. A semana lilás no Juniper Hall foi um dos grandes eventos da temporada para quem se interessava por flores.

No verão de 1922, o vice-presidente Calvin Coolidge visitou Juniper Hall. Em 1927, este marco branco emoldurado por árvores foi doado pela Sra. Whittall à Grande Loja de Maçons de Massachusetts. Desejava que a casa fosse usada para o alívio do sofrimento, em memória do marido que ali morrera em 1922 e que fora maçom do 33º grau. A estrutura ficou conhecida por muitos em Shrewsbury e na área como Hospital Maçônico. A propriedade foi comprada pela cidade de Shrewsbury em 1976 e o ​​prédio foi posteriormente arrasado.

A mansão se foi agora e também as memórias de tempos diferentes, mas a terra permanece e é um mundo encantador ainda. No lugar dos jardins formais, existe uma área selvagem com uma beleza silenciosa própria. Juniper Hall é agora uma memória, mas a imagem de persiste em sua cavidade no cume.

OS IRMÃOS NORCROSS - "CONSTRUTORES MESTRES"

Construtores da casa de Matthew J. Whittall em Shrewsbury
Juniper Hall
Prospect Street

James e Orlando Norcross, fundaram a Norcross Brothers Construction Company, de Worcester, Massachusetts, e se tornaram uma das primeiras empreiteiras gerais do país. O número de edifícios atribuídos à Norcross Construction Company é extenso. Os irmãos trabalharam extremamente bem entre a construção do edifício e a compreensão das necessidades e projetos do arquiteto. Eles ganharam o título de "Construtor Mestre" por causa de sua inteligência, engenhosidade, personalidade e bom senso. Eles também trabalharam para alguns dos arquitetos mais influentes da época, nomeadamente Henry Hobson Richardson, Peabody e Stearns, McKim, Mead & amp White e Shepley, Rutan e Coolidge (sucessores de H. H. Richardson). Os irmãos entraram com muitas patentes de construção em seu nome (ou seja, colunas de concreto, piso de laje de concreto, divisórias, etc.), a maioria delas ainda em uso no mundo da construção hoje.

A família Norcross originou-se do estado de Maine e mudou-se para Salem, Massachusetts por volta de 1843. James e Orlando nasceram no Maine - James Atkinson Norcross nasceu em Kennebec, Maine em 1831 e Orlando Whitney Norcross nasceu em Clinton, Maine em 1839. Seus pais eram Jesse Springer Norcross e Margaret Whitney Norcross. Jesse Norcross, um carpinteiro que trabalhou em todos os diferentes aspectos do comércio de construção, mudou sua base de negócios do Maine para Salem, Massachusetts, para estabelecer um local mais lucrativo para seu trabalho.

James e Orlando logo estabeleceram seu próprio negócio de contratação geral em Swampscott. Posteriormente, eles transferiram sua base de negócios em 1866 para Worcester, Massachusetts, após serem contratados para construir a Worcester High School (que não existe mais) e a Leicester Congregational Church. A Norcross Brothers Construction Company permaneceu em Worcester pelo resto de sua carreira. Após a conclusão bem-sucedida de suas primeiras encomendas em Worcester, os Irmãos Norcross tornaram-se ligados em uma associação quase contínua e altamente lucrativa com o arquiteto da Worcester High School, Henry Hobson Richardson. H.H. Richardson se tornou um dos arquitetos americanos mais influentes do final do século XIX. Depois de se associar a H. H. Richardson, a Norcross Brothers Construction Company começou a construir quase todas as comissões principais de Richardson. Alguns destes edifícios são:

The Trinity Church, Boston, MA
The Rhode Island State House
Igreja Episcopal de São João, Nova York
Biblioteca Pública de Nova York
Apenas para citar alguns.

Consulte o fichário de Norcross para ver a "Lista parcial" dos edifícios construídos pela Norcross Brothers Construction Company, cortesia de PRESERVATION WORCESTER, Cedar Street, Worcester, MA.
A Norcross Brothers Construction Company também trabalhou na reforma da Casa Branca, em Washington, DC, e na adição / reforma da Casa Vanderbilt.

Os irmãos Norcross construíram as próprias casas nas esquinas das ruas Claremont e Woodland (ambas as casas atualmente abrigam as instalações do Centro de Tecnologia, Meio Ambiente e Desenvolvimento da Clark University). Exceto por algumas pequenas mudanças, principalmente externas, as duas casas de Norcross são imagens espelhadas uma da outra. A casa de Orlando estava localizada em 16 Claremont Street e a casa de James estava localizada em 18 Claremont Street.

James Norcross atendeu a todas as responsabilidades e deveres do escritório. Ele era um homem muito conservador, detalhado, autodidata e um pensador brilhante. Orlando Norcross possuía um espírito forte, serviu durante a Guerra Civil e aprendeu bem a carpintaria e a construção. Os irmãos também descobriram que era benéfico comprar e manter suas próprias pedreiras para produzir a pedra usada em seus edifícios - arenito, calcário e mármore.

James se aposentou do negócio em 1897. James também construiu a impressionante residência "Fairlawn", na May Street, Worcester, que ocupou em julho de 1895. Orlando continuou o negócio sozinho.

Com a morte desses dois homens incríveis, James morreu em 1903 e Orlando morreu em seu caminho para o trabalho aos 80 anos em 1920, a Norcross Brothers Construction Company sofreria e, eventualmente, deixaria de existir.

Notáveis ​​por sua alvenaria de qualidade, habilidade, honestidade, integridade e organização, os irmãos Norcross fizeram contribuições extremamente importantes para a contratação de negócios. Eles fizeram grandes avanços na história arquitetônica e comercial de sua época, tanto de forma independente quanto por meio de sua associação com os grandes arquitetos de sua época. Os irmãos Norcross continuam a viver por meio dos enormes avanços e inovações que desenvolveram e por meio das muitas estruturas que até hoje marcam os Estados Unidos.

****************************
NO ENTANTO, POR QUE ESTA INFORMAÇÃO ESTÁ
SOBRE ESTES FAMOSOS E TALENTOSOS
IRMÃOS, IMPORTANTE.

QUE CONEXÃO COM ELES TÊM
SHREWSBURY.

Esses construtores fabulosos, criativos e de enorme sucesso construíram a casa conhecida como Juniper Hall para o Sr. Matthew J. Whittall na Prospect Street, aqui em Shrewsbury. Os irmãos que tinham ligações de trabalho com Matthew Whittall eram uma provável primeira escolha. (Os irmãos trabalharam em Whittall Mills e construíram a Igreja Episcopal de São Mateus, em Worcester - o Sr. Whittall sendo um membro fundador e financiador generoso da igreja). Orlando Norcross foi obviamente abordado pelo Sr. Whittall para construir sua nova casa em uma localização de mais de 70 acres em Shrewsbury.

A linda e majestosa casa foi construída pela Norcross Construction Company por um custo de OITENTA MIL DÓLARES ($ 80.000,00) em 1912. Ela serviu como residência para Matthew e Gertrude Whittall por vários anos. No quinto aniversário da morte de Matthew Whittall, Gertrude doou a propriedade da Grande Loja dos Maçons de Massachusetts para uso como casa de repouso / convalescença. A propriedade mais tarde ficou conhecida na cidade como Casa / Hospital Maçônico. Em 1976, a propriedade passou a ser propriedade da cidade de Shrewsbury e, em 1979, a cidade tomou a decisão de demolir esta casa.

UMA GRANDE PERDA HISTÓRICA PARA A CIDADE DE SHREWSBURY QUANDO VOCÊ PENSA NAS CONEXÕES!

Graças a:
Nancy Johnson - artigo de pesquisa
Clark University - site
Folhetos de preservação de Worcester
Worcester Historical Museum - Robin Christensen - Bibliotecário
Paula Rowse Buonomo - autora "História da Igreja de São Mateus"

MATTHEW J. WHITTALL
MARCADOR DE CARPETE
PROPRIETÁRIO DA WHITTALL MILLS
WORCESTER
E JUNIPER HALL
PROSPECT STREET
SHREWSBURY

Matthew J. Whittall era um imigrante britânico que fez fortuna no negócio de fabricação de tapetes.

Ele nasceu em Kidderminster, Inglaterra, em 10 de março de 1843. Após sua educação, ele se mudou para uma cidade chamada Stourport. Lá, aos 21 anos, Matthew assumiu o comando de uma empresa de carpetes de propriedade de Thomas B. Worth. O Sr. Worth era um conhecido fabricante de tapetes. Nesta posição, Matthew conheceu o negócio e permaneceu na empresa por cerca de seis anos.

Em outubro de 1868, Matthew se casou com Ellen, filha mais nova do falecido Henry Paget, em Stourport, Inglaterra.

O Sr. Whittall e sua família vieram para os Estados Unidos em 1871 e ele assumiu o cargo de superintendente na Compton Carpet Company, em Worcester. Em 1879, a Compton Company foi dissolvida. O Sr. Whittall estava então determinado a tentar sua mão na manufatura. Ele alugou um prédio em South Worcester (então conhecido como Wicks Mill) e começou a fabricar por conta própria. Ele visitou sua casa natal na Inglaterra para comprar o maquinário necessário para sua fábrica. Matthew comprou maquinário que lhe permitiria fabricar tapetes Wilton e Bruxelas. Na Inglaterra, ele comprou doze teares. Cerca de três anos depois, com o crescimento dos negócios, o Sr. Whittall comprou um terreno e ergueu sua primeira fábrica de tapetes. Por cerca de dez anos após seu primeiro edifício, Matthew continuou a expandir adicionando novos edifícios periodicamente até que sua empresa cobrisse quase 200.000 pés quadrados de terreno. Ele eventualmente, Edgeworth mill para o fabricante de fios penteados em 1885 e também comprou a Palmer Carpet Company em 1892. As fábricas em 1910 empregavam cerca de 1.500 trabalhadores qualificados e as fábricas operavam cerca de 350 tapetes e teares. Ele era um empregador atencioso e também organizava eventos como shows de menestréis e dias de campo para os funcionários. A Whittall Mills foi uma das maiores empregadoras em South Worcester e permaneceu em atividade até o final dos anos 1950. Também se tornou um dos maiores fabricantes de tapetes individuais do mundo.

Com sua experiência, praticidade e conhecimento em fabricação de tapetes, ele aproveitou cada nova ideia que poderia ser utilizada na produção de produtos novos e desejáveis. A qualidade de seus tapetes era exigida em todo o país. Ele até recebeu um pedido inclusivo para abastecer os prédios do governo com tapetes. O Presidente e a Sra. McKinley cumprimentaram pessoalmente Matthew por sua escolha de tapetes para alguns de seus quartos na Casa Branca. Os moinhos Whittall se tornaram um dos maiores fabricantes de tapetes individuais do mundo.

Os prédios de sua fábrica em South Worcester agora abrigam o negócio de Móveis Rotman.

O Sr. Whittall era um indivíduo de mente liberal e voltado para a comunidade. Ele se interessou seriamente por sua comunidade. Ele estava associado a muitas organizações: Junta Comercial, Worcester Club, Tatassit Canoe Club, Blackstone Valley Street Railway Co., Manufactures 'Mutual Insurance Company, People's Savings Bank, administrador da Biblioteca Pública e do City Hospital, apenas para citar alguns. Embora nunca tenha exercido um cargo público, ele também foi membro do Conselho do Governador, atuando sob o governo do governador McCall em 1917/1918 e do governador Coolidge em 1919/1920.

Nessa época, Worcester era uma cidade em crescimento, com 25% de sua população em 1855 nascidos no exterior. Com muitos imigrantes ingleses, muitos da cidade natal do Sr. Whittall, Kidderminster, trabalhando nas fábricas de Whittall, sua religião e tradições da terra natal eram uma parte importante de suas vidas. Esses imigrantes ingleses organizaram seus próprios times de críquete e futebol e um Clube Social Inglês.

Sua paróquia se chamava Igreja Episcopal de São Mateus e aqui essas pessoas adoravam e socializavam. Na primavera de 1871, o Sr. O. W. Norcross, da Norcross Brothers Construction Company, de Worcester, foi contratado para construir a capela. Esta capela foi aberta para os serviços religiosos no Dia de São Mateus, 21 de setembro de 1871. A paróquia foi organizada em 1874 com Matthew J. Whittall como membro fundador. Com a generosidade financeira e o compromisso de Matthew J. Whittall e sua família, a igreja pôde se erguer desde seu início humilde. A construção de um novo São Mateus começou com a colocação da pedra fundamental em 26 de maio de 1894. Norcross Brothers trabalhou com o arquiteto, Stephen Earle, na construção deste novo edifício sob o olhar atento do Comitê de Construção - um dos membros sendo o Sr. Matthew J. Whittall. A igreja tinha uma dívida de quase $ 30.000,00 com os irmãos Norcross, que a família Whittall generosamente assumiu. Mr.Whittall foi eleito Diretor da Igreja. Ele também foi nomeado para estabelecer uma comissão de investidura para a igreja. Os membros da Paróquia de São Mateus continuaram a manter fortes laços com sua igreja em Kidderminster, Inglaterra, a Igreja de Santa Maria. Esta foi a paróquia da infância da família de Matthew Whittall e a paróquia de muitos dos outros que seguiram seu empregador e amigo até Worcester.

Na esquina oposta da Igreja de São Mateus (na esquina das ruas Southbridge e Cambridge), Matthew Whittall colocou sua casa em Worcester, Hillside. "A casa possui amplos jardins, bem dispostos e constitui uma das residências mais agradáveis ​​e atraentes da cidade." (The Worcester de 1898). Foi dito que o Sr. Whittall construiu sua imponente residência em Worcester em frente à igreja para ficar de olho em quem apareceu e quem não apareceu para o culto de domingo.

A primeira esposa do Sr. Whittall, Ellen, morreu em novembro de 1895, deixando um filho e uma filha. Em 1906, Matthew se casou com Gertrude Clarke, de Omaha, Nebraska. Após seu segundo casamento, o Sr. e a Sra. Whittall decidiram construir sua casa em Shrewsbury.

Em 1912, a Norcross Brothers Construction foi contratada por Whittall e Gertrude para construir a grande propriedade branca georgiana na colina alta, na cidade de Shrewsbury. Vários lotes de terra foram comprados para perfazer os aproximadamente 100 acres da propriedade.
O nome da propriedade foi Juniper Hall. Os Whittall adoravam compartilhar a bela propriedade e os jardins. Eles deram as boas-vindas ao público para vir e visitar as centenas de flores desabrochando. Havia campos de íris selvagens, glicínias,
e jardins para colher flores. Eles sediaram eventos como "Lilac Weekend", que foi um dos maiores eventos da temporada. O Juniper Hall de Whittall era conhecido como um dos locais de exibição do Condado de Worcester, com seu espelho d'água e jardins.

Matthew Whittall era um maçom de 33º grau. Quando Matthew morreu em 1922, Gertrude Whittall dedicou a pérgula nos jardins a ele rebatizando-a de "O Jardim da Doce Lembrança". Ela continuou a morar na propriedade até que, em 1927, ela generosamente doou Juniper Hall e todos os bens imóveis à Grande Loja dos Maçons de Massachusetts para uma casa de aposentadoria e convalescença em memória de seu marido.

Matthew J. Whittall morreu em 31 de outubro de 1922. A congregação da Igreja de São Mateus ficou profundamente triste com a morte do Sr. Whittall. Ele serviu a igreja e contribuiu generosamente por quase cinquenta anos.

O Sr. Whittall, embora digno, era acessível. Ele era um homem gentil, generoso e inteligente, conhecido por sua integridade, honestidade e agudo senso de humor. Ele era admirado por amigos, associados, funcionários e conhecidos.

Da próxima vez, você dirige a oeste de Rota. 290 em direção a Auburn, olhe logo além do primeiro prédio Rotman's Furniture e veja seu nome gravado em pedra no prédio seguinte e lembre-se de um dos indivíduos mais proeminentes e bem-sucedidos de Worcester.

Obrigada por:
Paula Rowse Buonomo
Site da Whittall Masonic Lodge
Worcester Historical Museum por contribuir com informações

De um álbum de recortes encontrado na coleção da Shrewsbury Historical Society

PARA DEDICAR JUNIPER HALL EM 30 DE MAIO

A Grande Loja de Maçons de Massachusetts receberá as chaves da propriedade até
Sra. M. J. Whittall.

Exercícios notáveis ​​às 15h30.

Juniper Hill (Hall), Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, a magnífica propriedade de $ 200.000 Whittall que foi doada em 29 de outubro em nome da Grande Loja de Maçons de Massachusetts, pela Sra. Gertrude (Clarke) Whittall, viúva de Matthew J. Whittall, em memória dela marido, a ser usado para o alívio de maçons dignos e indigentes, suas viúvas e dependentes residentes na Comunidade de Massachusetts, será dedicado em uma comunicação especial da Grande Loja a ser realizada nas instalações às 15h30, Dia da Memória , momento em que as chaves da propriedade serão entregues ao Mestre e aos Guardiões da Grande Loja.

Foi especificado na escritura do Trust que se a Grande Loja determinar que, se não for aconselhável operar tal propriedade como um hospital ou casa como acima, "então a referida propriedade deve ser dedicada a tais usos de caridade para o benefício de pessoas dignas e maçons indigentes, as viúvas e dependentes como meu referido administrador (a Grande Loja) devem selecionar ".

O Sr. Whittall, um maçom de 33º grau, em cuja memória o presente é feito, era um fabricante de tapetes conhecido internacionalmente, que por vários anos antes de sua morte em 1921, foi membro do Conselho de Administração da Grande Loja, e um Mason sério e dedicado. Ele foi um membro da Loja Athelslan, A.F. e A.M., foi instituído, foi um membro fundador dessa Loja e tornou-se seu primeiro mestre adorador eleito em 1920-1921.

A propriedade compreende entre 85 e 100 acres de terreno, lindamente melhorados e é um dos bairros residenciais mais bonitos da Comunidade. Sobre esta propriedade ergue-se a grande casa georgiana que é um marco para quilômetros de distância. Ele comanda uma das melhores vistas do centro de Massachusetts.

Situado em uma crista elevada, a mais alta da cidade de Shrewsbury, e mais de 700 pés acima do nível do mar, ele olha para baixo sobre o Lago Quinsigamond e além das colinas de Paxton e Rutland e ao norte para Mt. Monadnock e Mt. Wachus.

Juniper Hall tem sido um dos locais de exibição do Condado de Worcester desde a sua construção em 1912. Os jardins são famosos e familiares a muitos milhares de pessoas, pois o público sempre foi bem-vindo, especialmente nos períodos em que havia exposições de flores no Altíssima. A Sra. Whittall desenvolveu a propriedade em uma rara combinação de jardins formais e a adaptação de plantas cultivadas ao ambiente selvagem.

A Sra. Whittall é filha de Henry Taft Clarke, um maçom pioneiro em Nebraska, e o primeiro homem a ser elevado ao grau de Mestre Maçom naquele estado. Ele foi um dos fundadores da primeira loja a ser constituída em Nebraska, e ao longo de sua vida foi um dos patronos da instituição naquela Grande jurisdição.

Na comunicação trimestral da Grande Loja, 14 de dezembro, Grand Frank L. Simpson declarou na oferta deste presente: "É minha esperança que o propósito do doador seja realizado e esta propriedade seja destinada ao uso como um hospital para cuidar dos aflitos irmãos Mestres Maçons e seus descendentes para os quais acomodações adequadas não podem ser encontradas nas instituições existentes. Eu recomendo que a doação desta propriedade seja aceita com o fideicomisso estabelecido na escritura de convelância e que resoluções adequadas sejam adaptadas expressando o gratidão e admiração da fraternidade pela liberalidade e amorosa bondade que motivou o presente. " "Eu também recomendo que uma cópia dessas resoluções adequadas seja enviada à Sra. Whittall, pelas autoridades da Grande Loja em testemunho do apreço dos irmãos de Massachusetts por sua generosidade e benevolência.

JUNIPER HALL PARA UTILIZAÇÕES DE CARIDADE

Magnífica casa de campo a ser usada para "alívio do sofrimento" de qualquer maneira Massachusetts Jurisdição da ordem fraterna considera adequado - apresentada como memorial a seu falecido marido, que foi maçom do 33º grau, no quinto aniversário de sua morte
______________

A Sra. Matthew J. Whittall doou à Grande Loja de Maçons de Massachusetts sua bela propriedade rural, Juniper Hall, no topo da colina da Meeting House, em Shrewsbury. O presente é em memória de seu marido, o falecido Matthew John Whittall, ele próprio um 33º maçom. É feito por volta do quinto aniversário de sua morte.

A propriedade será conhecida como Juniper Hall Memorial. Seu propósito
será "o alívio do sofrimento".

A propriedade compreende cerca de 100 hectares de terra, sobre os quais fica o
grande casa georgiana, que é um marco por muitos quilômetros ao redor. Isto
comanda uma das melhores vistas do centro de Massachusetts. O sublime
a crista, mais alta na cidade de Shrewsbury, olha para baixo, para o Lago Quinsigamond e além, para as colinas de Paxton e Rutland, e para o norte, para os Mt. Monadnock e Mt. Wachusett e outras eminências distantes. Embora não muito longe da aldeia de Shrewsbury e da estrada do Boston Post, a distância é suficiente para dar ao local um isolamento repousante.

Pode ser um hospital
A grande loja ainda não decidiu o uso exato da propriedade
será colocado. Provavelmente será da natureza de um hospital cujos pacientes
serão membros de Massachusetts da ordem. O Comitê da grande loja, chefiado pelo Grande Mestre Frank L. Simpson, de Boston, fez uma inspeção formal do local na terça-feira, e a aceitação formal da generosa e inesperada oferta da Sra. Whittall foi feita a ela.

Juniper Hall tem sido um dos locais de exibição do condado de Worcester desde que foi construído pelo Sr. e pela Sra. Whittall, em 1912. Os jardins são famosos e familiares a milhares de pessoas, pois o público sempre foi bem-vindo, especialmente nos períodos em que os arranjos florais estavam no auge. A semana lilás no Juniper Hall tem sido um dos eventos da temporada para quem gosta de flores. A própria Sra. Whittall é uma jardineira amadora de habilidade nada desprezível, e suas idéias desenvolveram a propriedade em uma rara combinação de jardins formais e a adaptação de plantas cultivadas ao ambiente selvagem. Seu prado, onde a íris cresce selvagemente nas gramíneas nativas, atraiu muitos visitantes interessados, na época da floração.

A mansão é muito grande. Um terreno contínuo a ele se presta à construção de outros edifícios, pois a Grande Loja considera desejável fornecer mais acomodações para cumprir o propósito do memorial.

A propriedade da propriedade passa para a grande loja imediatamente. É improvável, entretanto, que a ocupação real comece antes da próxima primavera. Nesse ínterim, sem dúvida, planos mais detalhados serão feitos quanto ao escopo das atividades de socorro que serão realizadas lá. A propriedade na colina da Meeting House consistia originalmente em sete propriedades, cada uma com um proprietário diferente. Estes foram reunidos para o Sr. Whittall pelo escritório de Charles A. Kabley.

Esta informação é de um álbum de recortes da coleção da Sociedade Histórica de Shrewsbury
Sem data no artigo - acredita-se que seja por volta de maio de 1927


História da cidade

Norwich foi fundada em 1659 por colonos de Saybrook liderados pelo Major John Mason e pelo Rev. James Fitch. A terra foi comprada da tribo Mohegan local, liderada por seu Sachem, Uncas. O povoamento inicial foi em torno do Norwichtown Green. Os suprimentos foram trazidos de um patamar próximo à base de Yantic Falls. Em 1684, os colonos autorizaram um novo desembarque público na cabeceira do rio Tamisa, local do atual centro da cidade.

As melhores instalações de desembarque trouxeram navios maiores e estimularam o crescimento do comércio. Produtos das fazendas e florestas do interior do leste de Connecticut eram trocados nas Índias Ocidentais por açúcar, melaço, rum e africanos escravizados. Em meados de 1700, o porto ostentava um próspero porto colonial conhecido como Chelsea Landing.

Revolução

No final da Guerra da França e da Índia em 1763, políticas comerciais britânicas mais restritivas e a Lei do Selo de 1764 resultaram em protestos generalizados nas colônias. Uma resposta foi substituir os produtos importados da Inglaterra por outros produzidos localmente. Christopher Leffingwell iniciou a fabricação de papel, cerâmica, chocolate e meias nessa época.

Quando a resistência ao domínio britânico se transformou em revolução aberta, os líderes de Norwich desempenharam papéis significativos como líderes militares e políticos. Jedidiah Huntington serviu como ajudante-de-ordens de George Washington. Samuel Huntington, um primo, serviu no Congresso Continental e era Presidente desse órgão quando os Artigos da Confederação foram adotados em 1781. Um dos primeiros heróis da Revolução, Benedict Arnold, nascido em Norwich, tornou-se famoso como traidor.

Uma cidade em crescimento

The city of Norwich was incorporated in 1784, one of the first five Connecticut cities. The abundant waterpower available on the Yantic and Shetucket rivers provided the motive power for textile factories, which by the mid-1800s dominated the local economy.

Steamboats brought passengers and freights to Norwich wharves. Goods and passengers were transferred to the Norwich & Worcester railroad, constructed from 1835 to 1840. Raw cotton and wool were shipped to textile mills throughout the region, and finished cloth shipped back. Norwich became the commercial, transportation, and manufacturing hub of the region.

Norwich was rocked by the controversy over slavery prior to the Civil War. David Ruggles, a key figure in the Underground Railroad, was raised in Norwich. Sarah Harris and other members of her family sought educational opportunities and civil rights for blacks. Norwich Free Academy, founded in 1854, continues to provide secondary education for Norwich and surrounding towns. NFA had non-discriminatory practices from its beginnings.

By the Civil War, the Republicans dominated city politics and controlled the state government. Governor William A. Buckingham and Mayor James Lloyd Greene supported the war effort. As in the Revolution, Norwich supplied men, firearms, and ships. The city welcomed the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863. After Lincoln&rsquos assassination, US Senator Lafayette S. Foster served as acting Vice-President. Frances M. Caulkins completed her revised History of Norwich in 1866.

A Thriving City

Rapid industrial growth transformed Norwich into a modern urban center by the early 20th century. Electric trolleys were introduced in 1892. Mohegan Park, started in 1907 with private donations and purchase, is centered around Spaulding Pond. Another important greenspace, Lowthorpe Meadows, was set aside by private philanthropists in the same year.

Immigrants from French Canada, southern and eastern Europe, the Cape Verde islands, and other areas, as well as internal migrants from the American South, reshaped the city in the late 1800s and the 1900s. Their skills and labor went to support the city&rsquos mills and businesses. Settling in various sections of town, the newcomers introduced new churches, cultural organizations, and self-help associations, greatly enriching the diversity of the city. Recent newcomers to Norwich have included Haitians, Spanish-speakers from Central and South America, and Asians, predominantly Chinese.

Civic groups had an important role in city improvements during the 20th century. A progressive city, Norwich moved to take over public utilities in 1904. City government was reorganized as a council/manager form in 1951. In 2001, a charter revision restored the office of Mayor, but retained the city manager.

Today&rsquos Norwich is a thriving city with a stable population, full range of municipal services, a modern industrial park and minor league ball team, its own publicly-owned electric, gas and water utility, and a positive outlook for residential and business growth.


Worcester and Norwich - History

Detail for a Map exhibiting the route of the Norwich & Worcester rail-road surveyed by James P. Kirkwood, James Laurie (Civil Engineers). ca. 1835 - Connecticut Historical Society and Connecticut History Illustrated

An ad for the Norwich and Worcester Rail-Road for contractors from the September 17, 1836, edition of the Hartford Times

On August 28, 1837, the directors of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad celebrated the completion of the Taft Tunnel in Lisbon. The first railroad tunnel in Connecticut and among the earliest tunnels built in America it remains one of the oldest railroad tunnels still in active use. Dr. Nott, of Franklin, delivered the prayer at the dedication and Asa Child, Esq., general agent of the company, delivered the address to the assembled crowd.

At this time, Railroad transportation was relatively new to Connecticut, which chartered its first railroads in 1832. Built to connect the waters of Long Island Sound with the manufacturing heart of Massachusetts, the Norwich to Worcester line covered the route in the shortest possible distance. In a study conducted by Roger Huntington prior to its construction, Huntington estimated that businesses transported 15,000 tons of goods along this route annually (excluding the towns of Norwich and Worcester). The goods included paper and iron as well as products from the 27 woolen and 75 cotton mills along the route.

James Laurie, co-founder of the American Society of Civil Engineers and chief engineer for the railroad, oversaw the project. Due to the drastic change in elevation near Quinnebaug Falls it became necessary to tunnel through the hill. Builders initially found much of the rock to be unstable and a passage from the summit to the foundation had to be opened for 75 feet before the men could even begin to tunnel through solid rock. The result was a slightly curved, narrow tunnel measuring 300 feet long by 23 feet wide and 18 feet high. The tunnel is currently part of the Providence and Worcester Railroad.

Taftville Tunnel. Photograph by an unknown photographer, ca. 1900 – Connecticut Historical Society


A HISTORY OF NORWICH

Norwich started as a small Anglo-Saxon settlement north of the River Wensum in Norfolk. In time it grew into a town, perhaps because of its situation on a river. (In those days it was much cheaper and easier to transport goods for sale by water than by land). It became known as North Wic (wic is an old word for port and Norwich was an inland port). The name Norwich first appears on a coin minted in the early 10th century.

By then Norwich was a large and important town (although it would appear no more than a village to us). It had a mint and would have had a weekly market. Norwich was probably also a burgh or fortified settlement. The town would have been surrounded by a ditch and earth embankment with a wooden palisade on top.

In the 10th century, Norwich grew rapidly. As the town grew the settlement spread to the south bank of the river. Gradually the settlement at Norwich shifted from north to south of the River Wensum.

Then in 1004 the Danes sacked and burned Norwich. (That was easy since the buildings were of wood with thatched roofs). However, Norwich was soon rebuilt and flourished once again. The Danes left many place names in this part of England. The street name ‘gate’, as in Pottergate, is derived from the Danish word gata meaning street. Potter gata was the street where potters lived and worked. The meaning of Fishergate is obvious. The street name Tombland is derived from a Danish word meaning empty space. Fingelgate comes from a Danish word meaning bend or elbow.

NORWICH IN THE MIDDLE AGES

By the time of the Domesday Book, in 1086, Norwich was one of the largest towns in England with a population of about 6,000. Although that seems tiny to us settlements were very small in those days, a typical village only had 100 to 150 inhabitants. By the 14th century, the population of Norwich had probably grown to about 10,000.

In Norwich, as in most Medieval towns, the main industry was the manufacture of wool. First, it was woven then it was fulled. That means the wool was cleaned and thickened by being pounded in a mixture of water and clay known as fuller’s earth. The wool was pounded by wooden hammers worked by watermills. Afterward, it was dyed.

Another important industry in Medieval Norwich was leatherworking. In Norwich, there were tanners, saddlers, and shoemakers. there were also many goldsmiths in Norwich. There were also the same craftsmen found in any medieval town such as blacksmiths, carpenters, brewers, bakers, potters, tailors, and thatchers.

In Norwich there were weekly markets. There was also an annual fair. In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year for a period of a few days. People would come from all over eastern England and London to sell at a Norwich fair. The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber, and pitch, wine, millstones, and fish from Great Yarmouth.

In 1094 the local bishop moved his seat from Thetford to Norwich. In 1096 he began building a new cathedral. Stone was brought from Caen in France and a little canal was dug to transport it from the river to the site of the new cathedral. However, the cathedral was not consecrated until 1268. The Normans also built a wooden castle in Norwich. In the early 12th century it was rebuilt in stone.

In 1194 Norwich was given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights). From then on they elected a Reeve, an official who governed the town day to day. In 1265 there was a civil war between the king and some barons. In 1266 some rebel barons sacked Norwich but the town soon recovered.

In the early 13th century the friars arrived in England. Friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world, they went out to preach and help the poor. There were 4 groups of friars in Norwich. There were Dominican friars (called blackfriars because of their black costumes). There were also Franciscan or grey friars and Carmelite or white friars. There were also Augustinian friars. There are still streets in Norwich called Blackfriars, Greyfriars, and Whitefriars. Different orders of friars once lived there.

In the Middle Ages, the church ran the only hospitals. The Hospital of St Paul was founded in the early 12th century. Great Hospital was founded in 1249. There were also 6 leper hostels around the town. (This dreadful disease declined in the 15th century and had disappeared by the 16th). In 1272 the monks of the Cathedral Priory provoked a riot when they attempted to charge tolls on the annual fair at Tombland. The rioters burned part of the Priory.

Cow Tower was built in 1278 for collecting tolls. It was rebuilt in 1399. Stone walls were built around Norwich from 1297 to 1334. The Bridewell was built around 1370. From 1583 to 1828 it was used as a prison.

During the Peasants Revolt in 1381, the rebels captured Norwich. They did not hold Norwich for long, however. The bishop mustered an army and the rebels retreated to North Walsham where they were easily defeated. Norwich school was founded in 1316. Also in 1316 Ethelbert Gate, Cathedral Close was built.

In 1404 Norwich was given a new charter and it gained a mayor. The Guildhall was built in 1407. Then in 1420, Sir Thomas Erpingham built Erpingham Gate in Cathedral Close. St Peter Mancroft was built in 1455 and in 1463 a spire was added to Norwich Cathedral. Strangers Hall was built in the mid-15th century. Meanwhile, Julian of Norwich lived in Norwich in the 14th and early 15th century.

NORWICH IN THE 16th CENTURY

In 1500 the population of Norwich was around 10,000 and it was one of the largest towns in England. In 1505 Norwich suffered a severe fire. Two more followed in 1507. (Fire was a constant hazard because most of the buildings were of wood with thatched roofs). The Guildhall was built in 1513. The friaries were closed by Henry VIII in 1539 but some of the hospitals were taken over by the corporation.

In 1549 came Ketts rebellion. Enraged by their treatment by landowners some of the farmers of Norfolk rose in rebellion. They took control of Norwich and camped on Mousehold Heath. The first attempt to crush the rebellion failed.

A small force led by the Marquis of Northampton entered Norwich and fought in the streets but was then forced to withdraw. The government then sent a much larger force under the Earl of Warwick. This time the rebels were driven out of Norwich. They withdrew to Mousehold Heath then to Dussindale. The earl’s men attacked and routed them. Afterward, about 300 rebels were hanged including Kett.

Then in 1579, there was an outbreak of plague, which may have killed 1/3 of the population of the town. However, Norwich soon recovered. In Tudor England, there were always plenty of poor people in the countryside willing to come to the town to look for work.

After 1565 many weavers came to Norwich fleeing religious persecution in what is now Holland and Belgium. They brought their canaries with them. Soon the native people of Norwich adopted rearing canaries as a hobby. By the 18th century Norwich was famous for its canaries and today Norwich football team is nicknamed the Canaries. The weavers may have boosted the population of the town to about 16,000 by the 1580s. In the early 16th century, Norwich seems to have suffered an economic decline but it began to prosper again in the late 16th century.

NORWICH IN THE 17th CENTURY

The population of Norwich rose rapidly in the 17th century and reached about 25,000 in 1700. This was despite outbreaks of plague. It struck twice, in 1625 and again in 1665 but each time the town recovered. Meanwhile, a children’s ‘hospital’ (really an orphanage) was founded in 1621.

During the civil war 1642-46 most of the people of Norwich supported parliament. There was no actual fighting at Norwich during the civil war. However, there was a riot in 1648. The mayor was a royalist and parliament ordered his dismissal. But the mayor was popular and his supporters rioted. They attacked the homes of well-known puritans and then entered the Committee House where gunpowder was stored. Somehow the gunpowder exploded killing some 40 people. Afterward, 8 of the rioters were hanged.

A ‘hospital’ or almshouse for old people was built in Norwich in 1688.

NORWICH IN THE 18th CENTURY

In the 18th century wool manufacture was still the main industry in Norwich. Wool was exported to North America. There were many imports into Norwich including tea, silk, and porcelain from the Far East. Tobacco from North America. Sugar, rum, and mahogany from the West Indies. Fish was brought by ship from Great Yarmouth and coal from Newcastle. Leatherworking was still an important industry in Georgian Norwich. Brewing flourished in this century. In the late 18th century some silk was woven in Norwich.

Meanwhile Bethel Hospital for the mentally ill was built in 1714.

For the well-off life grew more comfortable during the 18th century. The first newspaper in Norwich began publication in 1721. An Assembly House was built in Theatre Street in 1754 where people could play cards and attend balls. The first bank was founded in 1756.

In the years 1791-1801 the gates in Norwich town walls were demolished to ease the flow of traffic. Meanwhile, in 1780 Elizabeth Fry, the prison reformer, was born in Gurney Court in Magdalene Street and in 1797 Nelson gave the city of Norwich the sword owned by a Spanish admiral, which was captured after the battle of Cape St Vincent.

NORWICH IN THE 19th CENTURY

In 1801 Norwich had a population of 36,000. It was still one of the largest towns in Britain but it soon fell behind as towns in the North and the Midlands mushroomed. Nevertheless, Norwich did grow during the 19th century and by 1900 it had a population of over 100,000. In the early and mid 19th century skilled workers built houses at Heigham and around Vauxhall Street. The middle classes built houses along Thorpe Road.

However, like all 19th-century towns, Norwich was dirty, overcrowded, and unsanitary. There were epidemics of smallpox, typhoid, cholera, and diphtheria during the century. In 1819 there were 530 deaths from smallpox.

Nevertheless, there were many improvements to Norwich in the 19th century. In 1804 a dispensary was opened where the poor could obtain free medicines. In 1806 an act of parliament formed a body of men called the Improvement Commissioners who had powers to pave, clean, and light the streets. The first police force in Norwich was formed in 1836.

As early as the 18th century there was a piped water supply in Norwich – for those who could afford it but the water was impure. In the 1850s the council built a pure water supply. In the 1870s they built a network of sewers. After 1877 they began slum clearance.

Life in 19th century Norwich gradually improved. The first public library opened in 1857. Chapelfields was opened as a public park in 1852. The Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich was built in 1884. Mousehold Heath opened as a park in 1886. The Castle Museum opened in 1894. The Royal Arcade was built in 1899. Meanwhile in 1844 Norwich was connected to Yarmouth by train. From 1849 it was connected to London.

During the 19th century wool weaving and silk weaving in Norwich rapidly declined. However, leatherworking boomed. So did brewing. Norwich became famous for boot and shoemaking. In the late 19th century an engineering industry grew up in Norwich and flourished. There was also a mustard-making industry.

NORWICH IN THE 20th CENTURY

From 1900 to 1935 electric trams ran in Norwich but they were replaced by buses. The first cinema in Norwich opened in 1912. James Stuart Garden opened in 1922. Bridewell Museum opened in 1925. A war memorial was erected in 1927. Woodrow Pilling Park opened in 1929. Waterloo Park opened in 1933. The City Hall was built in 1938.

The council built houses on the outskirts of Norwich in the 1920s and 1930s. Many more were built after 1945. They were needed partly because 3,000 houses had been damaged or destroyed by the German bombing.

A new central library was built in 1962 but it burned down in 1994. Norwich University was founded in 1963. The Arts Centre opened in 1977. Anglia Square Shopping Centre opened in 1980. Castle Mall opened in 1993. Riverside Leisure Complex opened in 1999. In the late 20th century the main industries in Norwich were printing, electronics, engineering, and finance. Tourism also became an important industry.

Catedral de Norwich

NORWICH IN THE 21st CENTURY

In the 21st century, Norwich is still a thriving city. In 2002 a building called The Forum was opened. It includes the Millennium Library. Then in 2005 Chapelfield Shopping Centre opened. In 2020 the population of Norwich was 148,000.


20th-Century

In the first decade of the 20 th century, the population of Salem, Mass., was more than one-fifth Quebecois and their children. In South Salem’s Little Canada, children attended French schools like Sainte-Chrétienne. They built French churches like Église Sainte-Anne and they started French businesses like St. Pierre’s Garage, Ouellette Construction and Soucy Insurance.

St. Ann’s Church complex, Woonsocket.

Franco-Americans were almost all Roman Catholic, and strict ones at that. They believed that abandoning the French language meant abandoning their religion, and they clung to their language and customs longer than many other immigrant communities. They called it la survivance. Battles often erupted between French parishes and the Irish-dominated parishes over their desire to hire French-speaking priests.


History of Norwich

Norwich is an ancient city that lies at the heart of rural East Anglia. It was the Anglo Saxons who first made their homes beside the river Wensum, and it was from one of these settlements, which bore the name Northwic, that the city got its name. The settlement grew and grew and merged with others to become the largest walled town in medieval England. In 1066, at the time of the Norman Conquest, Norwich was one of the most important boroughs in the kingdom. Trade by river and sea was increasing and light industry had begun to develop. The market on Tombland was thriving with local produce, pottery, ironwork, wooden and leather goods, as well as furs from Scandinavia and Russia, woollen cloth from Flanders and herring from the North Sea.

Norwich Castle was built by the Norman Conquerors as a show of strength. A steep-sided artificial hill was constructed in 1067 which was 40 feet (13 metres) above ground level. Originally the castle was made of wood and was replaced 60 years later by a stone keep, which can still be seen today.

The keep was roughly 70 feet (20 metres) high, with walls about 100 feet (30 metres) long, and was virtually square in shape. It was built of local flint and mortar, and faced with stone.

In 1096 work started on the Cathedral. Churches and Saxon houses were cleared so that a canal could be dug from the River Wensum to the site of the Cathedral. This meant that stone from Caen in Normandy could be brought directly to the building site by water, thus making lighter work. By 1119 the transepts, presbytery and four bays of the nave had been built, but the Cathedral was not finally consecrated until 1278.

By Medieval times Norwich had within its walls 56 churches. Many of these were built as a reflection of wealth of local landowners. In 1194 Norwich became a city when Richard I granted a charter giving rights of self government. 1349 was when The Black Death hit Norwich and it is thought that as many as two-fifths of the population of roughly 6,000 people may have died. With a high proportion of clergy dying, four parish churches fell into disuse because of the lack of priests and parishioners. However, by 1377, Norwich’s population had risen back to 6,000. Many of the new residents were peasants who had left their unproductive homeland to seek work in the city’s growing textile trade. At the beginning of the 14th century, weaving was the most important trade in the city and, within a hundred years, Norwich was considered the main centre of worsted manufacture in the country. This industry continued for the next five hundred years until machinery was introduced during the Industrial Revolution thus making skilled craftsmen redundant.

The Peasants’ Revolt of 1381 meant life at the end of the 14th century was far from peaceful. Armies of rebels set fire to the houses of lawyers and other wealthy folk and it was the bishop, who, with his own army, eventually managed to restore order to the city.

During the early 16th century there were several fires which swept through Norwich, destroying whole streets of thatched and Tudor timbered houses. It is thought that 718 houses were burnt to the ground over a four day period in March 1507, and in June of the same year an additional 360 homes were lost. This was almost half of the city’s housing, which led to a decision that all new buildings should have tiled roofs.

In 1549 an army of 20,000 rebels, led by Wymondham farmer Robert Kett, took over control of the city causing a lot of destruction, they were protesting about an increase in rent and the enclosure of local common land for grazing by rich sheep farmers. They made their camp on Mousehold Heath and it took two royal armies six weeks to defeat them. Kett and forty eight other rebels were hanged at Norwich Castle.

In 1565 there was great concern about the decline in the worsted industry. The city authorities arranged for thirty households of religious refugees to come over from the Netherlands to teach the local craftsmen how to produce different types of cloth. Not only did the ‘Strangers’ (as they were known) bring over their knowledge of weaving, they also brought with them a love of gardens and canary breeding.

By the end of the 16th century the weaving trade was busy and cloth merchants and grocers were making their fortunes. The local gentry could now buy medicines, imported food and fine clothes without travelling to London. Norwich seemed to be prospering again however, according to the mayor, in 1570 about a fifth of the population were living on charity and the city was rife with tramps.

Norwich experienced its last epidemic of Bubonic Plague during 1665-6 this resulted in most of the wealthy citizens leaving Norwich. Unemployment became a serious problem, followed by a severe food shortage in 1666, which was only averted by huge catches of herring which were brought ashore at Great Yarmouth. Agricultural wages in East Anglia were very poor and country life became increasingly difficult this prompted people to move from the country into the city in search of work. The textile industry was recovering from a slump as new interest in fashion meant there were employment opportunities for many. Norwich was now exporting its cloth to Europe, North America, India and China.

By the early 1670’s Norwich had a population of around 21,000 and was probably the largest provincial town in England. Improvements to the main roads and the development of horse-drawn coaches meant that travelling between towns became easier in the 17th and 18th centuries. The gentry of Norfolk and Suffolk would come into Norwich to make purchases and to take part in social events such as card playing and dancing. During the 18th century Norwich’s leather industry steadily grew, making such items as buckets, harnesses, hosepipes, boots and shoes. Brewing also became increasingly important and Norfolk malting barley was considered the best in the country. By 1801 the city had six large breweries, supplying local needs, as well as sending beer to London for sale.

Improvements in local agriculture meant an increased production and a new cattle market grew up around the Castle. Norwich’s first bank was opened in 1756 and it was in 1775 that a local family, John and Henry Gurney, started a bank which still survives today as part of Barclays. It was in 1792 that Thomas Bignold, a wine merchant and banker, started the insurance business which was to become Norwich Union. The prosperity of the 18th century meant there was money to invest in building work. Subsequently the Assembly House was built in 1754, and the old Norfolk and Norwich hospital was constructed in 1771-2.

During the 19th century the population of Norwich increased from 37,256 in 1811 to 80,368 in 1871. The city began to expand beyond its walls and the living conditions were somewhat unhealthy with no supply of clean water there were epidemics of cholera and various other deadly diseases. This improved when a new waterworks was built which provided filtered water, and generally people’s awareness of public health increased.

Norwich originally had three railway stations, but only Thorpe Station, which was opened in 1844, remains today. The meadow land around Thorpe Station soon became crowded with houses and hotels for the railway workers, and factories were built beside the river to take advantage of water and rail transportation. Professional people began building their homes outside the city walls, as the city centre was becoming overcrowded. The area between Ber Street and King Street was particularly over-populated with slum housing. In 1892 work began on the church of St John the Baptist, which was later to become the Roman Catholic Cathedral.

It was in the 19th century that Jeremiah Colman built a new mustard mill at Carrow, A.J Caley began making chocolates at Chapelfield and John Jarrold opened his printing works at Whitefriars.

During the 20th century the city’s population increased from 121,490 in 1911 to an estimated 180,000 in 1980. Re-housing schemes and slum clearance began in the late 19th century and continued for many years, with council houses providing improved living conditions for thousands of people. In 1900 an extensive tram system meant that people could travel cheaply throughout the city, and it ran for thirty years. By the 1920’s the Guildhall, which had been the civic headquarters for over five hundred years, was now too small. The decision was made to build a new city hall, which was opened by George VI in October 1938.

Norwich was bombed more than forty times during the Second World War, and was selected for two of the Baedeker raids in which historic buildings were targeted in excess of 30,000 houses were damaged, 100 factories, as well as seven medieval churches and numerous shops, were destroyed. Rebuilding started in the 1950’s and the central library was built in 1963, with the University of East Anglia (UEA) taking its first students in that same year.

In the early 1990’s the site of the old cattle market was excavated to house the Castle Mall shopping centre, an innovative scheme, built on several levels, using the medieval street patterns and linking the east and west sides of the city centre.


History of Railroad Line Serving Webster, Massachusetts

Oct 02, 2018 #1 2018-10-02T13:18

I am trying to gather some historical information on a passenger railway that operated in the late 1960s. It ran periodically from New London, CT to Webster, Massachusetts, including several other stops along the route and terminated, I believe, in Worcester, Massachusetts. I am specifically interested learning:

- Years during which it operated
- Passenger stations along the line
- Reasons why the service terminated

Finding photos of the trains that ran on that line, or any pictures of the Webster, MA station during that era would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Oct 03, 2018 #2 2018-10-04T00:25

I don't know if this issue answers all your questions, but it appears Shoreliner Volume 21 Issue 2 included an extensive article on Webster, plus companion articles:

  • "Webster, on the Norwich & Worcester Branch" -- The history of the rail lines serving Webster, MA. 24 pages with photos (some color including the front cover and centerspread) and maps.
  • "The Southern New England -- 'The Old Grand Trunk'" -- The story of the Grand Trunk Railway's planned line between it's subsidiary Central Vermont line in Palmer, MA, and waterfront facilities in Providence, RI. Includes construction photos in Webster and Southbridge. 6 pages with photos and maps.
  • "Trolley Stop: The Street Railways of Webster" -- The history of trolley service in and about Webster, MA. 4 pages with photos and map.

Oct 03, 2018 #3 2018-10-04T02:13

Thanks Bill!
Sounds like that's exactly what I need. I'll order it right away!

Oct 04, 2018 #4 2018-10-04T09:50

Oct 04, 2018 #5 2018-10-04T13:20

S7ajrwgWYGoG93LXUH3jIk672fQxFUA5mTe8CNTkzJtxg6Behx6mAeS6ueFOLcPvwFAn2HdQrGDLnIEWg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA" />

Oct 04, 2018 #6 2018-10-04T13:52

Go to the NHRHTA home page http://www.nhrhta.org/ on the right is a column of links , scroll down and click on MAP OF THE NEW HAVEN RR/NHRHTA PUBLICATIONS BY LINE then on the new page click on the Map Link A larger map of the New Haven Railroad, from a 1929 train schedule, can also be viewed. This will bring up a map that allows you click a location that will list all NHRHTA publications and Shoreliners that have material on that location,in your case click on Webster..There is a long list of links you can look through on the page that the map link is on. There is also a link to the page that list all currently available back issues it is the publications sale page.
The Budd car service started around 1952 for a year or 2 the service was 3 round trips Worcester New London . The service was cut back to 2 round trips for the remainder of the time until Amtrak which did not chose to keep this service running.
I watched and heard these trains many time in the 1950s and 1960s as it operated through Oxford Mass many times as a young railfan. I also remember my parents taking the Budd Car to New York and back to Webster about 1960.
Ron High

If you find an issue you want is not available post a request on the forum you may find someone that can help you.


Stagecoach Inn

The Stagecoach Inn, a fitting name for one of Vermont’s old stagecoach stops.

At the start of the 19th century, ancient footpaths connected Burlington and Montpelier in Vermont. In 1805, the 36-mile Winooski Turnpike along the Winooski River was chartered to connect the two major towns.

The old Winooski Turnpike turned into U.S. Route 2, the main highway connecting the White Mountains to the Adirondacks. It cuts through Waterbury, the town where Ben and Jerry’s make their ice cream.

In 1826 either a Mr. Parmalee or a lawyer named Dan Carpenter had a structure built on the corner of the Winooski Turnpike and what is now Route 100. The building served as a tavern and inn for travelers and as a meeting place for locals.

By the mid-1800s, a farming family named the Henrys owned the inn. Their eccentric daughter Nettie married an Ohio rubber baron, Albert Spencer. Nettie smoked cigarettes, chewed tobacco and wore a celluloid eyeshade. She expanded and improved the old family house in Queen Anne Style.

Nettie Spencer died in 1947. The home was later run as a rooming house and fell into disrepair. A young couple from Boston bought the property in 1985 and rebuilt the house. Today it’s the Old Stagecoach Inn, a historic bed-and-breakfast in the center of downtown Waterbury.

For more information about the Stagecoach Inn click here.

This story about New England stagecoach stops was updated in 2020. If you enjoyed this story, you may also want to read about six Revolutionary taverns here.


Assista o vídeo: Dashcam Captures What No One Was Supposed to See