Castelo de Caen

Castelo de Caen

O Château de Caen é um normando construído por volta de 1060 por Guilherme, o Conquistador. Seu filho Henry I então construiu a igreja de São Jorge, uma torre de menagem e um grande salão para a corte ducal.

O Castelo de Caen, junto com toda a Normandia, foi recapturado pela Coroa Francesa em 1204. Filipe II reforçou as fortificações. O castelo viu vários confrontos durante a Guerra dos Cem Anos. A torre de menagem foi demolida em 1793 durante a Revolução Francesa, por ordem da Convenção Nacional.

O castelo, que foi usado como quartel durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, foi bombardeado em 1944 e seriamente danificado.

Hoje, o castelo funciona como um museu que abriga o Museu de Belas Artes de Caen, o Museu da Normandia e o Tesouro da Normandia.


Castelo de Caen - História

Por volta de 1025, durante o reinado do duque da Normandia Ricardo II, a cidade de Caen estava crescendo & quot no rio Oulne de ambos os lados, com suas igrejas, seus vinhedos, seus prados, seus moinhos, com o mercado, os proprietários de barracas & imposto rsquo , o porto e todas as suas dependências & quot. Na altura não passava de uma vila secundária com vocação comercial, onde os negócios se animavam com a presença do porto. Este bem, aliado à existência de um contraforte rochoso adequado para a construção de um castelo, não passou despercebido ao duque Guilherme. Por volta de 1060, pouco mais de uma década após a vitória decisiva sobre os barões rebeldes na Batalha de Val-es-Dunes, o príncipe instalou-se nesta cidade com futuro.

Construído no contraforte rochoso com vista para o bairro ducal, o castelo William & rsquos era impressionante em tamanho, mais de cinco hectares barrados no lado norte por um fosso defensivo profundo. A residência do príncipe e rsquos, que textos e planos antigos agora descrevem como o Vieux-Palais, o antigo palácio, era protegida por altos muros com a paróquia de São Jorge e suas muitas casas nas proximidades.

Ao mesmo tempo que o castelo foi construído, William e sua esposa Matilda estabeleceram duas abadias em Caen, a Abbaye aux Hommes (Men & rsquos Abbey), e a Abbaye aux Dames (Ladies & rsquo Abbey). Também durante esse período, um recinto foi construído em torno do bairro ducal. Durante esta segunda metade do século 11, a cidade tornou-se um enorme canteiro de obras, incentivando um influxo de novas populações, que ajudariam a tornar Caen uma cidade importante, o ducado da Normandia e segundo maior depois de Rouen.

Os duques normandos e palácio rsquo

Na época da construção do castelo por volta de 1060, Guilherme da Normandia montou seu palácio dentro do recinto. A maior parte do que sabemos sobre este complexo de palácio vem das escavações arqueológicas realizadas nos anos pós-Segunda Guerra Mundial pelo arqueólogo Michel de Bo & uumlard. Três funções do palácio foram identificadas a partir dos restos descobertos. De acordo com o arqueólogo, um edifício retangular de 16 metros por 8 (aula) com piso de argila sugere um nível de cozinha e anexos & ldquoas costuma ser encontrado no andar térreo de uma aula de príncipe & rsquos nos séculos 11 e 12. & Rdquo Os apartamentos do duque & rsquos (câmera ) estaria então no andar superior, como sugerido pelos restos de uma escada construída mais recentemente em um canto do edifício. Os restos da capela palatina (capella) também foram desenterrados a alguns metros do primeiro edifício, embora esta capela ainda existisse em parte nas construções modernas destruídas durante os bombardeios de 1944. Não podemos dizer com certeza como ou mesmo se o palácio de William & rsquos foi isolado ou não do resto do recinto, uma vez que nenhum elemento de encerramento foi descoberto durante as escavações. A esta unidade palaciana atribuída a Guilherme da Normandia, um novo salão construído por seu filho, Henry I Beauclerc, foi adicionado por volta de 1120, agora conhecido como Salle de l & rsquo & Eacutechiquier (Exchequer Hall). Este esplêndido salão é mais impressionante em tamanho (32 por 13 metros) e é a única arquitetura românica civil que sobreviveu na Normandia.

Transformado radicalmente ao longo dos séculos e das guerras, é difícil afirmar que o Exchequer Hall nunca teve mais de um andar. Por falta de evidências, além da pista ímpar, para comprovar a existência de um andar intermediário no século 12, a principal obra de restauração do

anos sessenta optou por restaurar o salão a um estado mais conhecido na escrita, o do século XIV.

A escavação atual do edifício do século XII com arquitetura comparável à do Hall do Tesouro trará seu conjunto de informações que complementarão e talvez de alguma forma questionem o funcionamento e a interpretação do conjunto palaciano.

A paróquia e o pátio do castelo

Embora o Castelo de Caen e os rsquos funcionem como um tribunal superior seja claramente estabelecido com a determinação da unidade do palácio do século XI e XII, não é tão fácil definir o pátio dentro do recinto do castelo. Embora obviamente houvesse uma série de serviços que a operação do palácio não poderia dispensar, eles são mais difíceis de colocar dentro do castelo. Aqui, novamente, a arqueologia vem ao resgate quando os escritos têm pouco a dizer antes do século XIV. Um conjunto de cozinhas associadas à torre de menagem foi escavado nos anos sessenta, não havendo no entanto qualquer indício do moinho, embora seja referido nos escritos como estando na mesma área. Várias bases que pertenceram a casinhas contemporâneas do castelo do século I, XI, também foram trazidas à luz no local, principalmente nas proximidades da torre-portão, entrada principal do local na época dos duques.

A evidência mais convincente da existência do pátio da fazenda no Castelo de Caen é a igreja paroquial de São Jorge. Embora seja difícil estabelecer que a freguesia é anterior ao castelo, uma vez que as escavações não revelaram vestígios anteriores ao ano 1100, o edifício acompanhou o quase milénio da existência do forte. Cada estilo arquitetônico está representado na igreja, desde a arquitetura românica normanda até os vitrais historiados do século XX. Devido à sua posição central no recinto e à atração natural desse edifício, a Igreja de São Jorge deve receber uma nova designação. Em 2013, será o centro de recepção e interpretação do Castelo de Caen, o ponto de partida da visita e uma porta aberta para os demais sites parceiros franceses e ingleses do projeto europeu & quotNorman Connections & rdquo, obra desenvolvida no âmbito desse projeto.

Uma fortaleza na cidade

Nada se sabe sobre a primeira fortificação do castelo erguida por volta de 1060. Os pedaços mais antigos das muralhas localizadas no norte do local datam do início do século XII. Construída em pedra, de que havia abundância no local, esta muralha está construída sobre um aterro de entulho retirado da escavação das valas norte e leste. Este aterro foi usado para instalar uma paliçada de madeira? Ninguém sabe, já que a arqueologia nada descobriu que ajudasse a interpretar essa questão.

No século 11, havia duas portas para o castelo. A primeira no norte também era a entrada principal do local. Era defendida por uma imponente torre-portão. Ao sul, a única comunicação com a cidade era por um postern.

A muralha, certamente equipada com atrativos de madeira quando construída pela primeira vez, foi pontilhada com numerosas torres à medida que eram feitas tentativas para melhorar suas qualidades defensivas.

O principal ativo do forte continuou sendo a torre de menagem, construída por volta de 1120 por Henrique I. Pouco sabemos sobre ela, mas era certamente comparável em muitos aspectos ao seu contemporâneo, o Castelo de Falaise. Mais uma vez, a arqueologia foi de grande ajuda, pois permitiu a redescoberta da planta baixa da torre de menagem (24 mx 27 m) e da cortina com suas quatro torres de canto, que foi construída no século XIII para isolar o mantenha-se afastado do resto do gabinete. Durante a Revolução Francesa, a Convenção Nacional decretou a destruição da fortaleza (1793). Esta obra só foi concluída no século 19 pelos militares do quartel Lef & egravebvre, que enterraram os últimos restos mortais para estabelecer um campo de desfile.

Durante a sua longa história, e sem dúvida devido às suas qualidades defensivas, o Castelo de Caen nunca foi tomado de assalto.


Castelo de Caen - História

Nossos editores irão revisar o que você enviou e determinar se o artigo deve ser revisado.

Caen, cidade, capital dos Calvados departamento, Normandia região, noroeste da França, no rio Orne, 9 milhas (14 km) do Canal da Mancha, sudoeste de Le Havre.

Tornou-se importante pela primeira vez sob os duques normandos nos séculos 10 e 11 e foi a capital da Baixa Normandia na época de Guilherme, o Conquistador. Capturada pelos ingleses duas vezes - em 1346 e em 1417 - foi mantida por eles até 1450. A revogação do Edito de Nantes (1685) quebrou a prosperidade da cidade, que se tornara protestante. Durante a Revolução Francesa, foi um centro do movimento girondino. Após a invasão da Normandia Aliada em 1944, os alemães usaram Caen como a dobradiça de sua resistência ao avanço britânico-canadense, e a cidade foi destruída em dois terços. Foi reconstruído, com zonas industriais planejadas entre o Orne e o canal do porto. Uma planície verde, a Prairie Saint-Gilles, fica de frente para o lado sudoeste da cidade, e jardins públicos foram plantados no centro da cidade. A universidade, fundada em 1432 por Henrique VI da Inglaterra, foi restaurada e reaberta em 1957. O Caen Memorial (inaugurado em 1988) é um museu dedicado à guerra e à paz.

As igrejas de Saint-Étienne (a Abbaye-aux-Hommes) La Trinité (a Abbaye-aux-Dames) escaparam dos danos da guerra, ambas datam da década de 1060 e são belos exemplares do românico normando. O túmulo de Guilherme, o Conquistador, fica em frente ao altar-mor de Saint-Étienne, e o túmulo de sua esposa, Matilda, fica no coro de La Trinité. Os restos mortais de William foram jogados fora durante a Revolução. Saint-Étienne tem uma fachada austera e sem ornamentos. Suas duas torres, que chegam a 90 m, são coroadas por pináculos do século XIII. Os edifícios da abadia, refeitos no século 17, agora abrigam escritórios municipais. A solidez normanda de La Trinité é sobrecarregada por trabalhos de restauração posteriores (especialmente do século 19). A nave serve de igreja paroquial, o transepto e o coro fazem parte do hospital municipal (hôtel-dieu) No meio do caminho entre essas duas igrejas está a igreja de Saint-Pierre, altamente decorada, com suas belezas góticas e renascentistas francesas restauradas após os danos da guerra. Na Place Saint-Pierre fica o Hôtel Le Valois d'Escoville, uma mansão renascentista restaurada (1538). A casa onde nasceu o poeta François de Malherbe (1555) fica na rue Saint-Pierre.

A importância de Caen como porto data da construção do canal do navio no século 19 (cerca de 14 km de comprimento), que faz paralelo ao rio e se abre para o Canal da Mancha em Ouistreham. Atua principalmente na importação de coque e exportação de aço. A indústria siderúrgica da cidade é alimentada pelas minas de minério de ferro do vale do Orne. Os altos-fornos de Mondeville foram reconstruídos e a população ativa está alojada na nova cidade de Hérouville. O aspecto industrial da cidade cresceu muito com a localização de fábricas de automóveis, aparelhos elétricos e eletrônicos. Situada no centro de uma região fértil de cultivo de grãos, à vista da verdejante bocage da Normandia, Caen é um importante centro de serviços para todo o oeste da Normandia. Pop. (1999) 113.987 (estimativa de 2014) 106.538.


WROXHAM & # 8217S OUTRO CASTELO?

Esta HISTÓRIA DA PRADO DE CAEN foi escrita em 1997 por PETER REEVE, diretor da antiga Escola Montessori, que ficava ao lado da campina. O Sr. Reeve afirma que seria necessária uma escavação arqueológica para descobrir todos os detalhes do passado de Wroxham. Mais uma vez, devo agradecer a Barry Gorbould, um colecionador de todas as coisas relacionadas à aldeia, por esta contribuição intrigante.

Há mais de um relato da origem do nome Caen Meadow, mas todos apontam para uma conexão com Caen na Normandia, na sequência da Conquista Normanda. Certamente sabemos que o pórtico da igreja de St Mary data desse período e que o arenito usado é semelhante ao da Catedral de Norwich, que foi importado de Caen. [Veja a nota com quatro asteriscos em My Wroxham Boyhood.] Também é citado na história local de Horstead e Stanninghall que todo o distrito, que incluía Wroxham, ficou sob o domínio da Abadessa de Caen até a dissolução dos mosteiros.

Talvez o relato mais persuasivo venha de uma família ainda residente na aldeia que afirma que no topo da colina existia o Mosteiro de Caen e que nos verões secos os contornos das paredes do edifício podiam ser discernidos na grama *. Posteriormente, um celeiro de dízimo foi construído no local onde hoje fica a Caenyard House. De fato, quando esta propriedade foi construída em 1972, muito material de fundação foi removido, enquanto em direção a Holly Cottage um poço profundo foi descoberto, agora coberto. Antes da entrada dos bulldozers, também se via que o terreno à direita do morro tinha um terraço, com uma vala que descia em direcção ao rio.

No sopé da colina, à direita, ainda resta uma bacia que se diz servir para descarregar, onde, na memória viva, havia estacas ao longo deste troço do rio. A margem oposta, onde os amieiros cresceram, também era uma pradaria de Caen e havia um caminho público até Coltishall. A disposição dos carvalhos no prado de Caen sugere que esta nobre vista para o rio se manteve desde a época do mosteiro. É evidentemente um local privilegiado e isso levanta a questão: o que havia antes? É possível arriscar um palpite.

Agora nos voltamos para os relatos de que houve uma vez um ponto de passagem romano onde hoje é a equipe pública. Este teria sido o primeiro vau a atravessar o rio desde sua nascente. O solo era mais firme aqui e o rio tão estreito que um velho barqueiro afirmava que antes era possível colocar um quant de 18 pés de uma margem à outra.

Sabemos que os romanos estavam em Wroxham. Uma moeda romana foi encontrada na trilha que levava ao staithe e outra em 1977 no jardim de Holly Cottage.

Havia um segundo ponto de passagem romano sobre o Bure em Horstead, onde havia um acampamento romano e um forte guardando essa passagem. No entanto, o ponto de passagem em Wroxham, pode-se presumir, era mais importante, sendo o primeiro vau, e era eminentemente defensável do terreno mais alto que o contemplava. Se havia um forte em Horstead, isso significa que eles eram uma fortificação em Wroxham. De fato, uma vez que os escaleres dinamarqueses começaram a subir os rios Norfolk, a defesa dos pontos estratégicos tornou-se uma necessidade. Aqui pode ser mencionado que o Bure entrou no mar ao norte de onde Great Yarmouth está hoje e não se juntou ao estuário de Yare.

Depois, temos o enigma da origem do nome da antiga cervejaria do Castelo. Castle Street foi batizada com o nome da taverna ou o bar foi batizado com o nome do que antes ficava do outro lado da rua? Por registros antigos, sabemos que a Castle Street continuou passando onde a escola vitoriana foi construída até Holly Cottage, naquele ponto estreitando-se e sendo chamada de Church Land. A controvérsia é que o nome Castle Street deriva da estrada que conduz à fortificação ou castelo no topo do Caen Meadow e onde o mosteiro foi posteriormente construído.

* Isso não deve ser confundido com outro relato de um priorado próximo ao antigo Wroxham Hall, mais rio acima.


O castelo que ajudou a afundar um navio de guerra

Castle Archdale, uma pequena fortaleza à beira do lago, em grande parte esquecida, na Irlanda do Norte, foi fundamental para uma das vitórias navais mais significativas dos Aliados na Segunda Guerra Mundial. Localizada nas margens do Lower Lough Erne, perto de Enniskillen, Archdale serviu como uma base importante para os barcos voadores Allied PBY Catalina e Short Sunderland durante grande parte do conflito. Situado no extremo oeste da Irlanda do Norte, o posto avançado remoto forneceu um abrigo ideal de águas calmas para os aviões de patrulha Aliados de longo alcance que se aventuraram nas profundezas do Atlântico tempestuoso em busca de submarinos alemães.

Um acordo secreto entre Londres e Dublin permitiu que os barcos voadores britânicos, e mais tarde americanos, passassem diretamente sobre o espaço aéreo neutro da República da Irlanda em seu caminho para seus campos de caça no oceano. Em 26 de maio de 1941, um PBY do 209 Squadron saindo de Archdale avistou o esquivo encouraçado alemão Bismarck. Uma vez localizados, os navios de superfície da Marinha Real e aviões-torpedo do porta-aviões HMS Ark Royal convergiu para o poderoso navio de guerra e acabou com ela. A perda representou um golpe devastador para o Kriegsmarine.


Batalha de Caen, 6 de junho a 6 de agosto de 1944

A batalha de Caen (6 de junho a 6 de agosto de 1944) foi uma das principais batalhas durante a Operação Overlord e, embora os britânicos e canadenses tenham alcançado seus objetivos principais, o fracasso em capturar Caen rapidamente causou muita controvérsia.

O plano de Montgomery e rsquos para a batalha da Normandia sempre foi forçar os alemães a comprometerem suas forças mais fortes no leste, no que parecia ser o ponto lógico para a fuga dos Aliados em direção a Paris e a fronteira alemã, permitindo que os americanos avançassem ainda mais para o oeste e varrer a Bretanha e atrás dos exércitos alemães que lutam na Normandia. No entanto, a expectativa era de que Caen caísse no Dia D ou logo depois, dando aos Aliados o controle das áreas planas ao redor da cidade, que eram adequadas para a construção de aeródromos.

A geografia de Caen causa alguma confusão com as direções. O rio Orne geralmente flui de sul para norte, passa por Caen e segue para o mar. Caen é dividida pelo rio, com a cidade velha na margem esquerda do rio e uma série de subúrbios e áreas industriais na margem direita. No entanto, na própria cidade, o rio passa por uma curva & lsquoS & rsquo, de modo que a cidade velha fica ao norte do rio, e alguns subúrbios ao sul do rio. A margem esquerda é às vezes chamada de margem oeste ou margem norte, enquanto a margem direita é a margem leste ou sul. Um segundo rio, o Odon, flui geralmente para nordeste e deságua no Orne logo ao sul de Caen.

Dia D e Operação Perch

No próprio Dia D, os britânicos e canadenses pousaram com sucesso em suas praias, mas a 21ª Divisão Panzer montou um contra-ataque na lacuna entre as praias de Juno e Sword, e isso combinado com o progresso mais lento do que o esperado apenas para o interior significa que Caen permaneceu nas mãos dos alemães em o fim do dia.

Na noite do Dia D, uma força de tanques do Staffordshire Yeomanry, apoiada pela 2ª King & rsquos Shropshire Light Infantry, atingiu Lebisey Wood, apenas três milhas ao norte da cidade. No entanto, a floresta foi mantida por um grupo de batalha da 21ª Divisão Panzer, e os britânicos foram incapazes de fazer mais progresso.

Nos dias seguintes, os alemães tiveram uma breve chance de empurrar os Aliados para trás, enquanto moviam três divisões Panzer para Caen. No entanto, os temores de Rommel e rsquos sobre o poder aéreo aliado mostraram-se corretos. Panzer Lehr teve que se mudar de Le Mans e, embora a maioria de seus tanques tenha sobrevivido, muitos veículos de apoio essenciais foram perdidos e a divisão não estava em condições de tomar parte em uma ofensiva quando chegou a Caen. A 12ª Divisão Panzer SS sofreu com a falta de combustível e foi então atacada pelos canadenses no campo de aviação de Carpiquet. O 21º Panzer foi dividido ao meio pelo Orne e, portanto, não conseguiu realizar um contra-ataque coordenado. Em 9 de junho, Rommel havia decidido que a chance de empurrar os Aliados de volta ao mar havia acabado e ordenou que seus homens fossem para a defensiva enquanto se preparavam para um contra-ataque em grande escala.

Uma vez que ficou claro que Caen não cairia no Dia D, os planos aliados tiveram de ser alterados. A Operação Perch, que tinha sido originalmente um plano para um avanço ao sudeste de Caen para convencer os alemães de que o principal ataque aliado viria naquela área, foi transformada em um ataque em duas frentes contra a cidade. Isso começou em 10 de junho, mas fez poucos progressos. Lutas intensas se desenvolveram em torno de Tilly-sur-Seulles, que mudou de mãos várias vezes nos dias seguintes. Os britânicos foram então informados de que uma lacuna havia se desenvolvido a oeste de Caen, onde os americanos infligiram pesados ​​danos a uma divisão de infantaria alemã. Em uma tentativa de tirar vantagem dessa lacuna de Caumont, a 7ª Divisão Blindada foi ordenada a avançar ao redor da extremidade oeste da frente de Panzer Lehr em Tilly. Na manhã de 13 de junho, eles alcançaram Villers-Bocage, mas foram emboscados pelo famoso ás dos tanques Michael Wittmann, que destruiu três tanques no centro da vila e ajudou a emboscar uma força maior a leste. Uma batalha feroz se desenvolveu ao redor da cidade, mas no final do dia os britânicos decidiram se retirar. A última chance de tomar Caen sem uma grande batalha havia desaparecido, embora neste ponto os alemães ainda fossem capazes de formar novas linhas, então os benefícios potenciais de manter Villers-Bocage poderiam ter sido exagerados desde então.

Operação Epsom, 26-27 de junho de 1944

Montgomery decidiu lançar seu próximo grande ataque a Caen, a oeste da cidade. O objetivo da Operação Epsom era romper as linhas alemãs a oeste da cidade, cruzar o rio Odon, que flui para o nordeste no Orne em Caen, então cruzar o Orne e garantir o terreno elevado a sudoeste da cidade. O ataque seria realizado pelo VIII Corpo de exército do Segundo Exército Britânico de Dempsey & rsquos, enquanto o XXX Corpo de exército realizaria um ataque preliminar para capturar Rauray Ridge, que dominava o campo de batalha do oeste. O plano original exigia apoio aéreo do Reino Unido, mas teve de ser reduzido devido ao mau tempo. O mau tempo, em particular a Grande Tempestade de 19 a 21 de junho, desacelerou o crescimento dos Aliados, então Epsom teve que ser adiada de meados de junho para o final do mês.

O ataque preliminar, Operação Martlet, começou em 25 de junho. O objetivo era transportar terreno elevado ao redor de Rauray, de onde os observadores da artilharia alemã poderiam invocar fogo no campo de batalha de Epsom. O ataque foi realizado pela 49ª Divisão e não atingiu seu objetivo principal. A divisão fez um bom progresso à sua direita, mas estagnou no flanco esquerdo mais importante. Como resultado, o terreno elevado em torno de Rauray ainda estava nas mãos dos alemães quando Epsom começou, em 26 de junho. Martlet continuou nos dias seguintes, Raurey finalmente caiu em 27 de junho e o ataque continuou no dia seguinte. No entanto, logo ficou claro que os alemães estavam planejando um contra-ataque, então as tropas começaram a se preparar para defender o que haviam capturado.

A Operação Epsom começou com um bombardeio de artilharia de três horas, que causou muitos danos à linha de frente, mas errou a segunda linha. A 44ª Brigada de Highland e a 46ª Brigada de Lowland começaram então a avançar e logo ultrapassaram a primeira linha. A segunda linha alemã, logo ao norte do Odon, resistiu por mais tempo, mas os escoceses foram capazes de capturar Cheux, de onde duas estradas desciam para o Odon. Os britânicos terminaram o dia decepcionados, mas os alemães terminaram preocupados. O general Dietrich, comandante do I SS Panzer Corps, pediu reforços para impedir um avanço. Rommel finalmente concordou em enviar quatro divisões Panzer para a área, incluindo a 9ª e a 10ª Divisões Panzer SS do recém-chegado II SS Panzer Corps.

Em 27 de junho, os britânicos finalmente cruzaram o Odon e começaram a avançar para o sul, até a colina 112, de onde teriam uma visão de Caen. Naquela noite, os reforços alemães começaram a chegar, e o general Dollman insistiu que eles deveriam lançar um contra-ataque imediato em 28 de junho. Isso não deu certo e, no final do dia, Dollman morreu, de ataque cardíaco ou suicídio. No lado britânico, a ponte sobre o Odon em Gavrus foi capturada intacta, e os tanques da 11ª Divisão Blindada alcançaram o topo da Colina 112. No entanto, o reconhecimento aéreo e outras fontes de inteligência deixaram claro que um grande contra-ataque alemão era provável. O General Dempsey decidiu cancelar qualquer tentativa de avançar em direção ao Orne, já que isso apenas teria tornado a estreita cabeça de praia britânica ainda mais longa e ainda mais vulnerável. As tropas britânicas mais avançadas foram retiradas e uma forte posição defensiva montada em torno do Odon.

Contra-ataque Odon alemão

Em 1o de julho, os alemães lançaram um grande contra-ataque contra a cabeça de ponte de Epsom. A parte principal desse ataque veio no oeste, onde o recém-chegado II SS Panzer Corps atacou o flanco direito da nova cabeça de ponte. À esquerda, eles atacaram com Kampfgruppe Weidinger da 2ª Divisão SS Panzer & lsquoDas Reich & rsquo. Em seguida estava a 9ª Divisão SS Panzer & lsquoHohenstaufen & rsquo, com a 10ª Divisão SS Panzer & lsquoFrundsburg & rsquo à direita deste ataque.

Do lado britânico, o ataque atingiu o 1º Tyneside Escocês em Rauray, vindo da força Martlet, e as forças Epsom mais ao sul. A maior vantagem deles era que o Ultra havia avisado sobre o próximo ataque. Para evitar o corte de tropas, as forças mais avançadas foram retiradas.

Os alemães planejavam atacar às 3 da manhã, mas os britânicos lançaram um bombardeio de artilharia preventiva. Os alemães começaram a se mover às 6h, atacando pelo oeste. À esquerda, eles chegaram perto de Rauray, mas os britânicos foram capazes de colocar suas forças de apoio em ação e uma série de ataques durante o dia foram todos derrotados. No centro, a 9ª Divisão SS Panzer tentou tomar La Valtru, mas sem sucesso. À direita, a 10ª Divisão SS Panzer tomou brevemente Baron-sur-Odon, mas não foi capaz de segurá-la, enquanto um ataque da Colina 112 foi desmontado pela artilharia britânica. No final do dia, os britânicos estavam de volta à sua posição original.

Embora a Epsom não tivesse alcançado todos os seus objetivos, os britânicos capturaram uma cabeça de ponte sobre o Odon e, mais importante, forçaram os alemães a enviar o recém-chegado II SS Panzer Corp para a luta em Caen, em vez de ser capaz de usá-lo para um contra-ataque a Bayeux. Isso estabeleceu um padrão para o resto da batalha & ndash sempre que os alemães conseguiam criar uma reserva blindada, os britânicos e canadenses atacariam em Caen e seriam forçados a comprometer os Panzers na batalha defensiva.

Operação Charnwood, 8-9 de julho

Após outra pausa, Montgomery decidiu lançar um grande ataque na parte norte de Caen. Poucos dias antes do ataque principal, os canadenses tentaram capturar o campo de aviação Carpiquet, a oeste da cidade (Operação Windsor, 4-5 de julho de 1944). Eles foram capazes de tomar a própria aldeia, apenas a nordeste do campo de aviação e a parte norte do campo de aviação, mas os alemães mantiveram-se na extremidade sul.

A própria Operação Charnwood seria realizada por três divisões do General Crocker & rsquos I Corps & ndash, a 3ª divisão canadense à direita, a 59ª (Staffordshire) Divisão no centro e a 3ª Divisão à esquerda. Seria precedido por um ataque de bombardeio massivo realizado por 467 bombardeiros pesados ​​Lancaster e Halifax, que se esperava alcançar grandes feitos (especialmente por Harris). No entanto, o impacto imediato da invasão foi decepcionante. Os aviadores insistiram em realizá-la no final do dia 7 de julho em vez da manhã de 8 de julho como planejado, porque a previsão do tempo lhes convinha melhor no dia 7. Como resultado, os alemães conseguiram se recuperar do choque antes do início do ataque. Em segundo lugar, Harris insistiu em uma linha de bombas 6.000 jardas à frente das posições britânica e canadense, e se concentrou em Caen, e não nas aldeias periféricas, de modo que o ataque não atingiu muitas das defesas alemãs, nas aldeias fora de Caen.

O ataque foi lançado pela 3ª e 59ª Divisões. A 3ª Divisão fez o progresso mais rápido e logo começou a superar a 16ª Luftwaffe A Divisão de Campo, que acabava de assumir o controle da parte norte de Caen. Mais a oeste, a 12ª Divisão SS Panzer resistiu o dia todo, mas a posição alemã estava entrando em colapso à sua direita. Durante a noite, os alemães retiraram-se de Caen ao norte do Orne e escaparam pelo rio. Nesse ponto, o bombardeio aliado deteve suas tropas e os alemães foram capazes de formar uma nova linha ao longo do rio.

Charnwood foi seguido pela Operação Júpiter (10-11 de julho de 1944), uma tentativa de recapturar a Colina 112 na frente de Odon. Os britânicos conseguiram se firmar na colina, mas não conseguiram eliminá-la totalmente. O ataque terminou depois de um dia, com a cabeça de ponte britânica ligeiramente aumentada.

Operação Goodwood e Operação Atlântico, 18 de julho

Embora a parte norte de Caen tivesse caído, os alemães ainda mantinham o sul e o leste industriais, incluindo as torres das fábricas de Colombelles, uma excelente posição de observação. Eles também pareciam estar prestes a mover tropas para o oeste, em direção a St. Lo e ao setor americano chave. Montgomery decidiu lançar outro grande ataque em Caen, desta vez na área leste da cidade.

O principal alvo da Operação Goodwood era uma crista baixa e plana ao sul de Caen. Isso era conhecido como cume Bourguebus para os britânicos e Verrières para os canadenses, em homenagem às aldeias nas partes leste e oeste das encostas norte do cume. Esta crista mal é perceptível em fotografias da área, mas era alta o suficiente apenas para bloquear vistas, para esconder tanques e artilharia ou para dar a quem controlasse o terreno mais alto uma visão dominante da área geralmente muito plana. Enquanto a armadura realizava o ataque principal ao sul, a infantaria britânica limparia as áreas a leste de Caen, enquanto os canadenses retirariam os alemães dos subúrbios ao sul da cidade, na margem direita do Orne (Operação Atlântico ) Goodwood se tornaria uma das batalhas mais polêmicas da campanha da Normandia, principalmente por causa das expectativas divergentes quanto aos seus objetivos. Para Montgomery, o principal objetivo da batalha era fixar a armadura alemã em torno de Caen e evitar que os alemães movessem reforços para o oeste para se opor à fuga iminente (Operação Cobra). No entanto, a fim de obter total apoio para seus planos, e em particular para convencer a RAF a realizar o bombardeio massivo que ele queria, Montgomery parece ter exagerado as mudanças de uma fuga em direção a Falaise. Eisenhower certamente parece ter esperado algo semelhante, assim como o alto comando da RAF.

Na tentativa de distrair os alemães, dois ataques foram lançados a oeste de Caen. A Operação Greenline começou em 15 de julho e viu o ataque do XII Corpo de exército contra Evrecy, que foi capturado durante a batalha, a Operação Pomegrante começou em 16 de julho e foi realizada pelo XXX Corpo de exército. Os dois ataques ajudaram a convencer os alemães a mover a 9ª Divisão SS Panzer Hohenstaufen para a margem oeste do Orne.

A Operação Goodwood foi um ataque ambicioso. O maior problema era que os britânicos detinham apenas uma pequena cabeça de ponte a leste do Orne e ao norte de Caen, em grande parte a área capturada no Dia D. Não era grande o suficiente para receber todas as três divisões blindadas, de modo que as tropas líderes teriam que começar o ataque enquanto a segunda e a terceira divisões ainda estivessem cruzando o Orne. As a result only part of the massive armoured force would actually get into action. 11th Armoured Division, which led the attack, would be fully engaged. The Guards Armoured Division would also be able to commit significant forces to the fighting. The 7th Armoured Division would hardly be involved at all. On the eastern flank the 3rd Infantry Division and 152nd (Highland) Brigade were to protect the left flank of the armoured assault.

The attackers also faced very strong defences, with five interconnected defensive lines running back for ten miles from the front. However they lost Rommel, who was badly injured in an air attack on 17 July and never returned to the front. The German line east of Caen was held by the LXXXVI Corps, with the remains of the 16th Luftwaffe Division and the 356th Infantry Division in the front line and the 21st Panzer Division in reserve. The I SS Panzer Corps was further to the south, and both of its panzer divisions had been withdrawn from the front line &ndash the 12th SS Panzer Division to regroup and recover and the 1st SS Panzer Division as the local reserve. The Germans also had a fairly significant number of guns on the Bourgeubus ridge.

The battle began with another massive air attack, this time with 2,600 British and American bombers, dropping 7,500 tons of bombs onto carefully selected targets around the attack area. The artillery opened fire at 0640, and the advance began at 0745. At first the British tanks made very good progress, and they were soon approaching Bourguebus ridge. However they then ran into intact German defences, and had got too far ahead of their supporting infantry. The Guards Armoured Division joined the fighting, but instead of the much anticipated tank breakthrough, the battle turned into a series of small scale fights for individual villages. On the German side the ease with which the British had advanced as far as they did caused a great deal of concern. The 1st SS Panzer Division was ordered to launch a counterattack, but this wasn&rsquot actually noticed by the British at the time! On the left flank the British infantry also made decent progress, capturing a series of villages and pushing the Germans away from the eastern edge of Caen. 19 July saw a German counterattack that was repulsed along most of the line, while the British cleared up those villages that hadn&rsquot fallen on the previous day.

On the Allied right the Canadians carried out Operation Atlantic, with the aim of protecting the right flank of Goodwood and clearing the Germans out of the last bits of Caen. It was carried out by General Guy Simonds&rsquo newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps. The Canadian 3rd Division was to attack from the Orne bridgehead in the north and from the city centre, while the Canadian 2nd Division attacked from the west of Caen. Atlantic also began on 18 July. On their left the 3rd Division captured Colombelles village and steelworks, the chateau de Colombelles and Giberville, although in some cases only after day long battles. The 9th Brigade, coming from the north, advanced down the right bank of the river and attacked the suburb of Vaucelles, south of the city centre. The German defenders withdrew to avoid being cut off. In the west the 2nd Division attack began in the evening. On their right the division was held up at Louvigny, but in the centre and left they were able to bridge the Orne and cross into Vaucelles.

On 19 July the Canadians successfully cleared the remaining Germans out of southern Caen. However this ended the successful part of the operation. On 20 July they pushed south onto the Bourgeubus Ridge, and ran into intact German defences. Poor weather limited the amount of air support available, and the Germans were even able to launch successful counterattacks. The same was repeated on 21 July and 22 July, before the operation ended. Atlantic had achieved its main aim of clearing Caen, but the ridges south of the city remained in German hands. Once again this was only achieved by moving armour east of the Orne, making it unavailable to deal with Operation Cobra.

Although Goodwood is now mainly remembered as a failed breakthrough, it actually achieved Montgomery&rsquos main aim of pinning the German armour down around Caen. It also greatly worried the Germans &ndash General Eberbach considered it to have been a great defeat, and coming very close to achieving a breakthrough, while for von Kluge it indicated that the battle of Normandy was lost. On 21 July he reported to Hitler that the German line &lsquoalready so heavily strained, will break.

After Goodwood

Although Goodwood and Atlantic left Caen securely in Allied hands, the official dates for the battle of Caen take it up to 8 August, and the start of Operation Totalize, the first major Canadian attack towards Falaise. Fighting did continue around Caen, although it was soon overshadowed by Operation Cobra, the start of the American breakthrough, which began on 25 July. The general aim around Caen was to push the Germans further away from the city. On 22 July 1944 British troops attacked to the south of Caen (Operation Express), and captured the village of Maltot, just west of the Orne and less than five miles from the city centre.

The biggest of these attacks was Operation Spring (25-26 July 1944), a Canadian attack on the Verrieres ridge. The attack was to be carried out by the newly activated Canadian 2nd Corps, under General Simonds. The corps contained the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Divisions, of which the 3rd had suffered heavy casualties on D-Day and the 2nd was new to battle, the Canadian 2nd Armoured Brigade and 2nd Army Group Royal Artillery.

Planning for this attack began on 21 July, in response to a delay in the start of Operation Cobra from 20 July. The aim was to push the Germans off the slightly higher ground south of the city, and pin them down in the east. However this area was strongly defended, and the Germans had access to a series of mine tunnels that linked several of the villages. When the Canadians attacked, the Germans were thus able to pop up in areas that were meant to have been cleared, preventing the attack from gaining any momentum. The Canadian attacks on 25 July were defeated at heavy cost, making it the second most costly day for Canada during the entire war, second only to Dieppe. The attack only took one of its objectives, and had to be called off early on 26 July when the bad news reached General Simonds. However the attack did achieve its main aim, pinning the Germans down south of Caen. It also attracted the attention of Field Marshal Kluge, who spent 25 July on the Caen front, just as the western end of the German front was crumbling. Kluge didn&rsquot leave the Caen area until the afternoon of 27 July, by which time the breakthrough had begun.

The main focus on the British front then moved west, to Operation Bluecoat, which began on 28 July. This saw two British corps attack from the Caumont area, half way between Caen and Saint Lo, with the aim of supporting the American advance.

Over the next few days the Americans broke right through the German lines and began to fan out into Brittany to the west and towards Le Mans in the east. It soon became clear that there was now a chance to trap a large part of the German army in Normandy, if the Canadians could push south from Caen and the Americans push north from around Le Mans and Alencon. The new target would be Falaise. The official end date of the battle of Caen is thus the same day as the start of the first Canadian attempt to break through to Falaise, Operation Totalize (8-11 August 1944).

The battle of Caen was key to the overall Allied victory in Normandy, but it wasn&rsquot as glamorous and its successes less obvious than Operation Cobra. Repeated British and Canadian attacks made slow but steady progress, rarely reaching their more optimistic targets. Montgomery often failed to fully explain his overall plan, and on occasion even Eisenhower began to worry. However on the German side each of the famous offensives caused a great deal of alarm. Every time they managed to release their panzer divisions from the front, there would be another attack, and they would have to be committed to desperate defensive battles. The same happened to fresh divisions as they reached Normandy. Perhaps the most important example of this was the decision to commit the two freshly committed Panzer divisions of the II SS Panzer Corps to the fight against Operation Epsom, a move that forced Rommel to abandon his own plans for an attack towards Bayeux. Goodwood was seen as a disaster on the German side, and a sign that the front was about to crack. Even Operation Spring, a costly failure for the Canadians, distracted Field Marshal Kluge at the moment when he was needed on the American front. The long bitter battle for Caen may have been controversial, but it drew in most of the German panzers, and helped pave the way for the spectacular American breakthrough then breakout at the other end of the line.

Stout Hearts: The British and Canadians in Normandy 1944, Ben Kite. Looks in detail at the role of each element in the British and Canadian military machine during the Normandy Campaign, including each aspect of the ground forces from the infantry to the armour, intelligence, reconnaissance and medical services, as well as the air support and the fire power provided by the massive Allied fleets off the Normandy coast. A very useful companion to narrative accounts of the campaign, helping to explain how the British and Canadians managed to overcome the determined German resistance on their front [read full review]

Mémorial de Caen: No trip to the D-Day Landing Beaches is complete without a visit to the Mémorial de Caen just be sure to designate a full afternoon to it. This vast museum focuses both on the history and repercussions of war in the 20th century, as well as post-war peace keeping. Inaugurated in 1988, the museum stands on the very soil where some of the fighting for Caen took place in 1944, and perhaps understandably its D-Day exhibit is particularly fascinating, using a large split screen to depict the D-Day Landings simultaneously from Allied and German viewpoints.

Vaugueux neighbourhood: With its Caen-stone houses dating back to the Middle Ages, this neighbourhood is probably one of the most popular, best-known parts of Caen. It is also a trendy nightspot whose many restaurants and bars come to life in the evenings along the main street (rue du Vaugueux) and old town square. Edith Piaf herself used to come here to see her grandparents, who ran a café in the neighbourhood!

Hôtel d’Escoville: One of Caen’s finest buildings, which now houses the local tourist office

The marina: Just around the corner from one of the liveliest, best-restored corners of the old city centre, this scenic marina full of yachts and surrounded by smart modern apartment blocks may come as a pleasant surprise to anyone unfamiliar with Caen, and is a great place for a stroll.

Jardin des Plantes: Caen prides itself on being a green city and this botanical garden is one of the many reasons why. Thanks to Gallard de la Ducquerie, a professor at Caen’s Faculty of Medicine, who acquired the land in 1689 and filled it with rare plants, the garden is now home to over 2,000 different species.

Women’s Abbey: This abbey was built for Queen Matilda on a similarly grand scale to the Men’s Abbey between 1060 and 1080. The 11th-century Church of the Holy Trinity is a fine example of Norman architecture and houses the tomb of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. The superb crypt, with its barrel vaults supported by 16 close-ranked columns, is remarkable, as are the 18th-century convent and French-style garden.

Men’s Abbey: William the Conqueror, to regain the favour of the Pope, who disapproved of his marriage to his distant cousin, Matilda Princess of Flanders, ordered the construction of the Men’s Abbey in 1066. Construction began in the Norman style but the abbey was completed in gothic style in the 13th century, and houses William’s tomb. The abbey is an architectural masterpiece, its elegant lines mixing the simplicity of Norman architecture with gothic intricacy. The large monastic buildings later attached to the abbey now house Caen Town Hall.

Caen Castle: One of the largest walled fortifications in Europe, this castle was built for William the Conqueror, who made Caen into a great centre of power in Normandy. Damaged during the bombings of 1944, the castle has since been restored and its extensive walls and towers make for an impressive sight. Within the ramparts, explore the castle’s two museums, the Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum) and the Musée de Normandie (which explores the region’s history and ethnography). Also worth a visit at Caen Castle are the Salle de l’Échiquier (Treasury Chamber) and Church of Saint-Georges.


How to get to Caen

Caen is conveniently situated two hours from Paris by train and a mere 15 minutes from the cross-Channel port of Ouistreham, which operates regular sailings to Portsmouth in the UK. The city also has its own airport in the neighbouring town of Carpiquet. Caen is within driving distance of popular Normandy attractions including Bayeux and its famous tapestry, the D-Day Landing Beaches, and the picturesque Pays d’Auge, home of cider and cheese. Beaches and towns where you can enjoy traditional seaside fun are also just on the doorstep. Caen even boasts its own yachting marina, the Bassin Saint-Pierre, right in the heart of town.


Wiltshire Community History


The town of Devizes developed around the Norman castle which was probably built c.1080 by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. There is little evidence of prehistoric settlement on the site, but some Roman remains have been found in the Southbroom area of the town.

The castle was built on a promontory on the western edge of the Marlborough Downs with the valley of the Avon to the west and the Pewsey Vale to the east, 9 miles from Calne, 14 miles from Marlborough and 12 miles from Trowbridge. Because Osmund built his castle on the boundaries of the King's manor of Rowde and his own manors of Cannings and Potterne it became known as ' castrum ad divisas', the castle at the boundaries.

The original castle was probably a motte, or tower, of wood with an outer bailey protected by a ditch, stockade and drawbridge. This structure burnt down in 1113 and was rebuilt in stone by Richard of Caen, Osmund's successor as Bishop of Salisbury. The castle was described by a contemporary, Henry of Huntingdon, as 'the finest and most splendid in Europe', but little now remains of it apart from fragments of the foundations.

On several occasions important prisoners were held in Devizes castle, an indication of how impregnable it was considered to be. In 1106 Robert of Normandy, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, was imprisoned here when his younger brother Henry seized the throne during Robert's absence at the First Crusade. He was to remain a prisoner at Devizes for the next twenty years before being moved to Cardiff where he died in 1134.

The years 1139 to 1141 were full of incident for the inhabitants of the castle and the town that was developing outside its walls. The heir to the throne, following the death of the King Henry I's only son, was his daughter Matilda, who was also known as the Empress Maud as she was the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor. Henry I died in 1135 having extracted an oath from the barons and bishops, including Roger, that they would accept her as queen, but his nephew, Stephen of Blois, invaded England to claim the throne and was supported by many of the barons and bishops.

At this time Roger was one of the most powerful and influential men in England. During Henry's reign he had been appointed Justiciar of England, as well as being Bishop of Salisbury, and had deputised for the King when Henry was abroad. In addition Roger had appointed his natural son, also called Roger, to the post of Chancellor and two of his nephews to bishoprics.

Roger declared his support for Stephen but he must have been considered a dangerous ally as, in 1139, during an assembly at Oxford, Stephen used a disagreement between his French followers and Roger's retainers as an excuse to arrest Roger, his son and nephews. Matilda (also called Maud) of Ramsbury, who was Roger's mistress and the mother of his son, was at this time holding Devizes castle but when Stephen arrived and threatened to hang her son she surrendered the castle to him. Bishop Roger was freed but forced to surrender all his possessions to Stephen and he died later in the year, a broken man.

Meanwhile Matilda and her followers were advancing through the West Country and so Stephen now moved on to try to stop her, besieging the castle at Trowbridge on the way, and leaving a party of soldiers to hold the castle at Devizes.

Robert Fitzhugh, a Flemish adventurer stated that if he held Devizes Castle he could control all the lands between London and the west, and in Stephen's absence he captured the castle, using leather ladders to avoid waking the garrison. He proceeded to lay waste the surrounding country and when Matilda's brother Robert, Earl of Gloucester, sent a force to take over the castle for Matilda he refused to hand it over. Eventually he was captured and when his men refused to surrender the castle in return for their leader's life Fitzhugh and two of his nephews were hanged in front of them. Stephen subsequently regained control by paying the remaining mercenaries to leave. Count Hervey of Brittany, Stephen's son-in-law, took over the castle, but the local townspeople had become so disenchanted by the activities of Fitzhugh that in 1141 they besieged the castle and eventually forced Hervey to surrender to Matilda's forces. By this stage Stephen had been captured at Lincoln and Matilda had been proclaimed Queen although she was never crowned. In gratitude to the people of Devizes she granted them freedom from certain tolls, which in effect gave them the right to hold a regular market.

For the remaining seven years of the civil war Devizes stayed in Matilda's hands, although Stephen's troops sometimes ravaged the surrounding areas, and she was often in the town.

Matilda retired to Normandy in 1148 and died in 1167. Her son Henry took up the cause and used Devizes as a base for campaigns in the West Country. He successfully repelled an attack on the castle by Stephen's son Eustace. Eventually he forced Stephen to recognise him as his heir.

The Crown retained possession of the castle until the seventeenth century, and together with the land around Devizes and Rowde, the Old and New Parks and the right of appointment to the forests of Chippenham and Melksham it made a very important royal gift.

The castle was again used as a prison when King John's second wife, Isabella, was sent there in 1206. She gave birth to a son there in 1209, and in 1216 John sent the Royal regalia and crown jewels to the castle for safe keeping. John died later that year and was succeeded by his nine-year-old son, Henry III, who was living in the castle at the time in the care of the governor.

During the 12th and 13th centuries the town of Devizes developed outside the castle with craftsmen and traders setting up businesses to provide the residents of the castle with goods and services. Following the granting by Matilda of the charter allowing a market, the town grew rapidly. The layout of the streets followed the line of the castle's defence ditches, of which there were four, and the regularity of the burgage plots in New Park Street and the Market Place suggests that it was deliberately planned, rather than developing piece meal. The medieval market place was in the large space outside St Mary's Church, rather than in the modern Market Place, which at that time would have been within the castle's outer bailey. A market cross stood near to the White Bear Inn in Monday Market Street.

The town had achieved such importance by 1295 that it was summoned to send two representatives to Edward I's Model Parliament, and continued to be represented in most other parliaments of the period, although there seems to have been an economic decline from 1332 to1336 when the town's importance was reduced and it was not represented.

The first mention of a market in Devizes is for 1228 although there were probably earlier ones established without royal permission. In 1567 a second market was granted, to be held in St. Mary's parish on Mondays, but it seems to have ceased by 1814. A Thursday market, which had been established by 1609, is still held weekly in the Market Place.

The chief products in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries were corn, wool and yarn, with cheese, bacon and butter increasing in importance later. Fish was brought up from Poole, and John Aubrey considered Devizes to be the best fish market in the county. By the early nineteenth century there was a twice weekly market for butchers meat and in 1842 the market for corn and malt was described as one of the most important in England.

Over the centuries various commodity markets lapsed and were revived again. The cheese market had finally ceased by 1903 when the market was said to be for corn, poultry, butter and vegetable. In 1939 corn, cattle, pigs and poultry were sold, though by then cattle and corn were of minor importance.

The actual sites of the different markets have changed over the years. The first markets were held in front of St Mary's Church, but with the physical deterioration of the castle defences the townspeople gradually took over the open area of the castle bailey where the present Market Place is situated. Other areas which have been used include Short Street, Wine Street, St. John's Street and High Street.


A number of market halls were built at different periods to house the corn market, cheese market, wool market and butchers shambles. The Corn Exchange was built in 1857 and has a statue of Ceres, the Roman goddess of the harvest, surmounting it. The Shambles, in the corner of the Market Place, was built in 1838, and now houses market stalls on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The present market cross was the gift of Lord Sidmouth and one side of it tells the story of Ruth Pierce, a market woman from Potterne, who dropped dead in the Market Place in 1753 after lying about payment for a purchase of wheat.

The earliest fair in Devizes was granted in 1208 for the benefit of the local lepers. It was to be held yearly on the eve and feast of St. Denis (8th and 9th October), but by 1223 the Bishop of Salisbury seems to have displaced the lepers and was disputing the rights of the fair with the constable of the castle. Other fairs are recorded between this time and the sixteenth century when, in 1567 the corporation was granted two fairs of its own. In 1685 the Crown granted another new fair, known locally as the 'wholesale fair', to be held in St. John's parish on 10th April.

By 1759 there were seven fairs, held on Candlemas (13th February), Maundy Thursday, Trinity Thursday, 15th July, 9th September, 2nd and 20th October. Some fairs specialised in particular merchandise: the Trinity fair, for example was predominantly for horses, while the one in July was for wool.

As with the markets the fairs prospered and declined over the years with the occasional revival but the remaining two, held in July and February, ceased in 1939 and 1942 respectively.

The direct involvement of Devizes in the war between King Charles I and Parliament was due partly to its position between the King's headquarters in Oxford and the south west of England where he had strong support. This made the town of strategic importance to both sides. At the outbreak of the war the town's two MPs, Edward Bayntun and Robert Nicholas, were supporters of Parliament but there was strong Royalist sympathy within the town led by the mayor, Richard Pierce.

When the war broke out in 1642 some of the castle's fortifications were repaired and locks, chains and barricades were set up across the road entering the town from London.

In 1643 the Royalist Sir Ralph Hopton and his army fought a series of engagements with the Parliamentary forces under Sir William Waller, culminating in an indecisive battle at Lansdowne near Bath. Hopton was injured in an explosion and the Royalists made for Devizes where they could hold off Waller's forces while Hopton recovered. Waller camped near the village of Roundway and besieged the town. Hopton's men were very short of ammunition and, following the failure of a relief party to reach Devizes, it was decided to send a small party of cavalry to Oxford to fetch guns, powder and bullets. In the meanwhile Hopton ordered his men to collect all the bed cords in the town and to boil them in resin to make match. Lead was stripped from the church roofs to melt down to make bullets.

Waller began to bombard the town with cannon balls and canister shot and at one stage his cavalry reached the outer streets of the town but failed to get through the heavy barricades. As he was expecting reinforcements to arrive Hopton refused to surrender and employed delaying tactics to play for time. Waller, confident that Royalist reinforcements would be intercepted before they reached him, agreed to a six hour parley. This turned out to be a fatal mistake as the Royalists were not stopped and Waller had to hastily redeploy his men to face the relief force.

At 4.00 p.m. the Royalists under Lord Wilmot reached Roundway Down. They had fired a gun at Roughridge Hill to alert Hopton to their arrival but his officers, fearing a trick, persuaded him not to leave the town. This left the relief force outnumbered three to one.

The battle was fought on the Downs between Roughridge Hill, King's Play Hill, Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill. Initial attacks by the Parliamentarians were repulsed and the Royalist Cavalry, despite attacking uphill, put the opposing cavalry to flight and pursued them for three miles across the Downs to a steep hillside. Many of the Parliamentary men and their horses were killed in what became known as the 'Bloody Ditch'. Hopton, realising that a battle was taking place, emerged from the town and his infantry helped turn the Parliamentarian retreat into a rout. Waller escaped to Bristol but his army was almost totally destroyed.

For the next two years Devizes remained under Royalist control, during which time the King arranged for more work to be done on improving the castle's fortifications. The moat was cleared and the drawbridge repaired.

The castle was manned by four hundred Welshmen under Sir Charles Lloyd when Oliver Cromwell reached Devizes in September 1645 and demanded their surrender. Following their refusal Cromwell set up 10 guns in the Market Place and bombarded the castle. One shell landed in the roofless keep where the powder was stored and although it failed to explode Lloyd surrendered. He and his officers were allowed to join the king at Oxford. Parliament ordered that the castle should be destroyed and this was carried out in 1648.

There is little evidence of any established industry before the fourteenth century but from this period the leather, metal and textile trades seem to have predominated. In the sixteenth century Devizes became known for its white woollen broadcloth but in the following century the trade in white cloth apparently declined and was replaced by serge manufacture and later the production of drugget, which was being exported to Russia up to about 1753. Felt was also made.

In about 1785 John Anstie built a factory for the production of cassimere, a closely woven fancy fabric, and in 1788 he was said to have three hundred looms in use. Much of this cloth was sold abroad but the French wars severely limited trade, with the result that he went bankrupt in 1793.

From this period there was a decline in the textile trades in Devizes but other trades continued to establish themselves. These included clock making, a bell foundry, booksellers, milliners, grocers and silversmiths.

Two trades of particular importance came to prominence in the eighteenth century: these were brewing and tobacco. Brewing and malting had been carried out on a small scale for centuries, but in the mid eighteenth century the firm of Rose and Tylee was established and the site of their brewery, in Northgate Street, is now part of the brewers Wadworth and Co. who were founded in 1875.

From the early part of the eighteenth century tobacco was cured and snuff ground in Devizes. The earliest records are of Richard Anstie who had a shop on the corner of Snuff Street and the Market Place. For some years William Leach used two windmills, originally built to grind oilseed rape, which stood on the old castle motte, to grind snuff. The Anstie family continued its interest in tobacco with a factory in John Anstie's former cloth factory. In 1944 the Imperial Tobacco Company bought the business. The production of snuff ceased in 1957 and the curing of tobacco in 1961.

The construction of the Kennet and Avon Canal at the end of the 18th century revealed a large area of Gault and lower greensand clays which were ideal for brickmaking. The Devizes Brick and Tile Company was founded at Caen Hill and continued production until its closure in 1961.

New industries developed in the nineteenth century and continued into the twentieth. These included agricultural engineering (Brown and May, and T.H.White Ltd.), building contractors (W.E.Chivers and Sons Ltd., and Rendells), dairy produce (North Wilts Dairy Co. Ltd.), bacon production (Central Wiltshire Bacon Co.) and electrical manufacturing (Cross Manufacturing Co. and the Hinchley Engineering Co.). During World War II a flax industry was established to make parachute harnesses and tents.

The Kennet and Avon Canal was constructed between 1794 and 1810. It linked Devizes to Bristol and London, and to the Wilts and Berks Canal at Semington and the Somerset Coal Canal. Because of opposition from a local landowner the route for the canal caused major technical problems: within a distance of 2 1/2 miles it had to rise 237 feet from the valley of the Avon to the Pewsey Vale. This was accomplished by means of 29 locks, 17 of them in one flight at Caen Hill.

The main cargo on the canal was coal from Somerset, and the Wharf became a depot for its distribution. Other cargoes included Devizes beer for London, West Indian tobacco from Bristol for Anstie's factory, and building materials.

The success of the canal was short lived. The railway arrived in Devizes in 1857 but GWR had purchased the canal in 1852 and its use gradually declined and it fell into disuse.

In 1951 the fight to save the canal began in earnest with the formation of the Kennet and Avon Canal Association, and in 1990 the Queen celebrated the reopening of the full length of the canal by travelling through one of the locks at Caen Hill.

Proposals for a railway service for Devizes were made as early as 1836 but they come to nothing. Five years later the steep incline at Caen Hill caused Brunel to adopt the Swindon to Chippenham main line route from London to Bristol rather than taking the line through Devizes and Bradford-on-Avon. Opposition from local landowners also delayed things but in 1856 the Somerset and Weymouth Railway agreed to extend a single line track from Holt Junction to Devizes and the service opened in 1857. In 1862 the Great Western Railway opened an extension of the Berkshire and Hampshire line from Hungerford which linked Devizes to London, but the building of the Westbury line through Lavington again bypassed Devizes. The railway closed in 1966.

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

Maps: listed are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites. The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 323. There are five Grade I listings, Devizes Castle, No. 17 Market Place, Brownstone House and wall, the Church of St. Mary and the Church of St. John the Baptist, and 46 Grade II* listings.

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to limit to 'Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre' for branch and re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library


From February to December (except December 25th and January 1st) daily 10am-6pm
July and August daily 10am-7pm
Guided tours (free) Weekends and holidays English 11:30am French 3:30pm
July and August: Daily English 11:30am anmd 3:30pm French 10am and 2pm

Admission
Adult 7.50 euros children 6-16 years 3.50 euros
Family pass (2 adults and child between 6 and 16 years) 18 euros

Falaise Tourist Office
Boulevard de la Libération
14700 Falaise, Calvados, Normandy
Tél.: +33 (0)2 31 90 17 26
Falaise Tourism Website

Where to Eat in Falaise
La Fine Fourchette
52 rue Georges Clemenceau
14700 Falaise, Normandy
Tel.: 00 33 (0)2 31 90 08 59
A welcoming, friendly local restaurant, family run with father and son turning out very good dishes, particularly fish. Set menus from 16 euros and a good a la carte.


Assista o vídeo: Caen, Normandy, France - Walking Tour 4K UHD