Rosslyn Mitchell

Rosslyn Mitchell

Edward Rosslyn Mitchell nasceu na Escócia em 16 de maio de 1863. Ele se tornou advogado em 1904 e foi membro do Conselho Municipal de Glasgow (1909-1925).

Inicialmente, membro do Partido Liberal, Mitchell depois se juntou ao Partido Trabalhista Independente e começou a trabalhar em estreita colaboração com outros socialistas em Glasgow, incluindo John Wheatley, Emanuel Shinwell, James Maxton, David Kirkwood, Campbell Stephen, William Gallacher, John Muir, Tom Johnston, Neil Maclean, George Hardie, George Buchanan e James Welsh.

Na Eleição Geral de 1922, Mitchell foi eleito para a Câmara dos Comuns para Glasgow Central. Também tiveram sucesso vários outros socialistas militantes baseados em Glasgow, incluindo David Kirkwood, John Wheatley, Campbell Stephen, Emanuel Shinwell, James Maxton, John Muir, Tom Johnston, Neil Maclean, George Hardie, George Buchanan e James Welsh.

Mitchell aposentou-se para o Parlamento nas Eleições Gerais de 1929. mas continuou a ser um membro ativo do Conselho Municipal de Glasgow.

Edward Rosslyn Mitchell morreu em 31 de outubro de 1965.

Desde a circunferência externa da cidade até o centro, Glasgow ressoava com a mensagem do socialismo. Uma semana depois do dia da eleição, parecia provável que toda a equipe de onze venceria, que Bonar Law seria derrotado e que o socialismo triunfaria. Essa energia, entusiasmo e seriedade não eram conhecidos em Glasgow há gerações. Lá estávamos nós, homens que alguns anos antes haviam sido desprezados, alguns de nós na prisão e muitos mais de nós muito próximos, sendo agora os homens a quem o povo confiava.

Quando, finalmente, os resultados foram anunciados, todos os membros da equipe foram eleitos - exceto o nosso campeão da Divisão Central. Que tropa éramos! John Wheatley, frio, calculista e destemido; James Maxton, cujo discurso cortejante e abnegação absoluta fizeram as pessoas considerá-lo um santo e mártir; o pequeno Jimmie Stewart, tão pequeno, tão sóbrio e, ainda assim, tão determinado; Neil MacLean, cheio de fogo sem fúria; Thomas Johnston, com uma cabeça tão cheia de fatos quanto um ovo cheio de carne; George Hardie, engenheiro e químico e irmão de Keir Hardie; George Buchanan, criador de padrões, que conhecia o lado humano da pobreza melhor do que qualquer um de nós; James Welsh, mineiro e poeta de Coatbridge, John W. Muir, um cavalheiro heróico e galante; e o velho Bob Smillie, voltou para um círculo eleitoral inglês, embora tenha nascido na Irlanda e criado na Escócia.

Acreditávamos que esse povo, esse povo britânico, podia e estava disposto a fazer amizade com todos os outros povos. Estávamos prontos para abandonar todas as indenizações e todas as reparações, para remover todas as restrições hostis impostas pelos Tratados de Paz. Éramos todos puritanos. Todos nós éramos abstêmios. A maioria de nós não fumava. Nós éramos a matéria-prima de que a reforma é feita.


Os Condes de Rosslyn

OUm dos aspectos mais inteligentes do sistema escocês de nobreza e honras é que, na antiga tradição celta, é comum que a sucessão e os títulos passem para a fêmea mais próxima e sua progênie na ausência de um herdeiro masculino imediato. O raciocínio por trás disso é simples. Já que a mãe carrega o filho antes do nascimento, há pelo menos uma afirmação da linhagem materna, senão a do pai. Não que isso, em um mundo de oportunidades iguais entre os sexos, busque lançar dúvidas sobre a prática há muito estabelecida e amplamente endossada da primogenitura masculina, mas faz sentido quando a terra está em disputa ou um título antigo está em perigo de extinção. Sempre me surpreendeu que esta decisão eminentemente sensata se aplique apenas à nobreza escocesa e raramente aos títulos do Reino Unido (como ducados), a menos que sob um resto especial. Teria proporcionado à Inglaterra um senso de identidade ancestral e continuidade muito maior do que existe hoje.

Em 1778, quando o último homem da linhagem St Clair de Rosslyn morreu, apenas uma modesta herança foi passada para sua única filha sobrevivente, Sarah, que era casada com Peter Wedderburn, um advogado muito respeitado de Edimburgo. Quando Wedderburn foi nomeado Juiz do Tribunal de Sessão, recebeu o título de cortesia de Lord Chesterhall. Eles tiveram um filho e uma filha, Alexandre e Janet, e Alexandre, tendo seguido o pai na profissão de advogado, superou todas as expectativas. Em 1762, quando ele processou a notória Causa de Douglas em nome da bela duquesa viúva de Hamilton e seu filho pequeno, Sir Alexander Wedderburn foi considerado um dos principais defensores de sua geração.

A causa Douglas, o caso legal que decidiu o futuro de outra grande herança & ndash terras, propriedade e títulos & ndash após a morte do primeiro e último duque de Douglas, abalou a sociedade hanoveriana do século XVIII ao norte e ao sul da fronteira. Quando as propriedades de Douglas foram reivindicadas pelo falecido sobrinho do duque & rsquos, cuja legitimidade era suspeita & ndash sua mãe, a irmã do duque & rsquos, tinha mais de cinquenta anos quando deu à luz gêmeos e foi alegado que eles foram adotados & ndash ele foi desafiado pela família dele parente, o 7º duque de Hamilton. Para começar, o Scottish Court of Session decidiu a favor da alegação de Hamiltons & rsquo, mas a decisão foi anulada pela Câmara dos Lordes. 1

Sir Alexander Wedderburn entrara na política no ano anterior e se tornaria lorde chanceler da Grã-Bretanha no governo de William Pitt. Em 1780, ele foi elevado ao título de Lord Loughborough no condado de Surrey. Em 1801, ele assumiu o título de primeiro conde de Rosslyn em reconhecimento à sua mãe e família. Ele morreu em sua casa em Windsor em 1805 após um ataque de gota e foi enterrado na Catedral de São Paulo em Londres. Embora casado duas vezes, o primeiro conde não teve filhos, mas tal foi a influência que ele exerceu em uma época em que o status hereditário ainda representava algo que, antes de sua morte, ele providenciou para que todos os seus títulos e propriedades herdadas passassem para seu sobrinho Sir James St Clair-Erskine, o igualmente talentoso filho de sua irmã, Janet, que se casou com Sir Henry Erskine. A sogra de Janet, Katherine Erskine, era, naturalmente, a irmã mais nova do General St Clair e, portanto, também sua prima. Sir James St Clair-Erskine, que ocupou o cargo de MP por Kirkcaldy, coroaria sua própria carreira com o posto de Senhor Presidente do Conselho na coalizão Sir Robert Peel & rsquos Tory / Whig de 1834.

Por qualquer padrão, o portfólio de Alexander Wedderburn era substancial. Além de propriedades na Inglaterra, havia o Castelo Ravenscraig, 3.000 acres de terra em Fife, e o igualmente prestigioso, mas neste estágio bastante negligenciado, Rosslyn Estate em Midlothian, que, junto com Dysart House em Fife, reverteu para a linha de Rosslyn da família após a morte de seu tio-avô, o general Sir James St Clair, e de seu primo, o coronel James Patterson.

À medida que o século XIX avançava, Roslin Glen e a própria cidade adquiriam mais uma celebridade. Já um famoso local de beleza, o desfiladeiro do rio North Esk e seus bosques circundantes foram defendidos nos escritos do romancista best-seller Sir Walter Scott, que, nos primeiros anos do século, residia na vizinha Lasswade. Quando George IV visitou Edimburgo em 1822, o primeiro monarca britânico reinante a pisar em solo escocês por mais de 200 anos, a Escócia clamava por um senso de nacionalidade e o encontrou não apenas nas montanhas, vales e clãs das Terras Altas, mas na paisagem poética das Terras Baixas da Escócia. A Capela Rosslyn pode agora ter se tornado um dos grandes destinos turísticos do século XXI, mas os hanoverianos e vitorianos de dois séculos atrás também se reuniram aqui aos milhares, incluindo, como era de se esperar, a própria rainha Vitória.

Em 1842, logo no início de sua primeira visita à Escócia, ficando com o 5º Duque de Buccleuch no Palácio Dalkeith, a uma curta viagem de carro, ela insistiu em visitar a Capela Rosslyn, sobre a qual tinha ouvido falar tanto. Ela ficou tão impressionada com o que viu em 14 de setembro de 1842 que expressou o desejo de que & lsquoso uma jóia única seja preservada para o país & rsquo. Para o bem ou para o mal, isso abriu as comportas para Rosslyn como atração turística.

Nesse estágio, Lord Rosslyn já havia contratado o arquiteto William Burn para iniciar os reparos no exterior. No entanto, levaria mais vinte anos antes que o interior da capela, possivelmente após um empurrão adicional de Sua Majestade, voltasse à vida. Em 1861, o 3º conde de Rosslyn foi persuadido pelo casamento de sua prima, Lady Helen Wedderburn, filha do 7º conde de Airlie, a reintroduzir os cultos dominicais. O arquiteto David Bryce foi sumariamente abordado para iniciar o trabalho de restauração a um custo de £ 3.000. Lajes foram recolocadas na cripta, um novo altar foi introduzido e as esculturas danificadas da Capela Lady foram reparadas. Para compensar alguns dos custos das instalações e acessórios, a empreendedora Lady Helen, que morava na Rosebank House na propriedade, lançou uma campanha de assinaturas que foi amplamente apoiada pela nobreza escocesa em toda parte.

Porém, nem todos ficaram satisfeitos com a qualidade do trabalho de restauração. Um artista anônimo chegou a escrever para o escocês jornal deplorando que as características que, aos olhos de sua profissão, tornavam a capela tão objeto de interesse, de estudo e de afeto, estivessem se perdendo para sempre. Uma reação semelhante foi desencadeada em certos bairros pela limpeza de pedra da Cidade Nova de Edimburgo no final do século seguinte, mas no caso da capela ela parece ter sido amplamente direcionada para a & lsquouncalled para enfeites & rsquo impostos em algumas das esculturas.

Apesar de tal controvérsia, a Capela Rosslyn foi rededicada pelo Bispo Terrot de Edimburgo na Terça-feira da Páscoa, 22 de abril de 1862, e formalmente reaberta ao público com o Bispo Forbes de Brechin pregando o primeiro sermão. O Revd Cole, capelão militar em Greenlaw Barracks, perto de Penicuik, foi constituído como capelão doméstico de Lord Rosslyn. Quatro anos depois, o terceiro conde foi sucedido por seu filho que, nos anos seguintes, contratou Andrew Kerr, um jovem arquiteto, para criar uma abside para servir de batistério, com um órgão superior. Um belo rendilhado de carvalho exibe o brasão da família e, no total, incluindo as taxas Kerr & rsquos, o trabalho custou à propriedade uma substancial £ 792, o equivalente hoje a £ 46.000. O imponente túmulo do 4º conde está situado em frente à entrada do batistério.

Qualquer resto dos vitrais originais nas janelas da capela foram destruídos durante a Reforma, e por um longo período de tempo não havia vidro nas aberturas, a única proteção sendo oferecida pelas venezianas externas. Na época da restauração de 1862, no entanto, eles haviam sido polidos com vidro transparente. Visitando a Capela Rosslyn hoje, portanto, é importante entender que os vitrais semelhantes a joias na Capela Lady são de origem vitoriana. Nas seis janelas estão os Doze Apóstolos, cujo desenho foi criado em 1867 para Francis, 4º Conde de Rosslyn, por Clayton & amp Bell de Londres, e dedicado à memória de seus pais.

No corredor leste estão São João Batista com um cordeiro em um livro, São Paulo com uma espada, São Marcos e São Lucas. As três janelas do corredor norte apresentam imagens da Anunciação e da Natividade, a Apresentação no Templo, o Batismo de Jesus, o Sermão da Montanha e o Miraculoso Calado dos Peixes. Nas três janelas do corredor sul estão interpretações do Milagre na Festa das Bodas de Caná, A Ressurreição da Filha de Jairo e Rsquos, Cristo Abençoando as Crianças, A Última Ceia, a Crucificação e a Ressurreição.

A janela leste, dedicada à memória da irmã do 4º conde & rsquos, Harriet, Condessa de Derneburg em Hanover, mostra a Ressurreição de Nosso Senhor. A janela oeste apresenta Nosso Abençoado Senhor na Glória. Em 1887, o conde levantou mais duas janelas, uma mostrando São Jorge e o Dragão e dedicada à memória de Andrew Kerr, que supervisionou a construção do batistério e desde então morreu a segunda mostrando São Miguel, inserida como uma oferta de agradecimento de & lsquoW . e H.A. Mitchell de Rosebank & rsquo. 2

Em sua análise do & lsquomeaning & rsquo da capela, o escritor Tim Wallace-Murphy pergunta por que dois soldados romanos, São Longino, aquele que segurava a Lança do Destino, e São Maurício, que foi decapitado na frente de suas tropas por se recusar a adorar o deuses pagãos de Roma, deveriam ser celebrados aqui? Ele também se pergunta por que o santo padroeiro da Inglaterra tem o mesmo lugar, e faz uma comparação com a redecoração mística na Igreja de Santa Maria Madalena em Rennes-le-Ch & acircteau, que deve ter ocorrido na mesma época. Isso confirma que há uma conexão entre os dois locais de culto? Ou será que o que há hoje é o que estava em voga entre certas facções da cristandade na época? Ou você aceita que os interiores da Capela Rosslyn e de Santa Maria Madalena foram compreensivelmente realizados por meio da imaginação inventiva de estudiosos independentes mergulhados na mitologia cristã clássica e pagã, ou você considera que algum grande plano mestre transcendental estava em ação. De qualquer forma, ele fornece uma fonte de fascínio sem fim.

No entanto, depois disso, você se encontra firmemente implantado no século XX, as janelas do batistério datando apenas de 1954. Elas comemoram o atual tio do conde que morreu no serviço ativo durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, e seu padrasto, que morreu em decorrência de ferimentos sofridos durante a mesma. conflito. Eles foram projetados com o tema White Cliffs of Dover e St Andrew e St George. Outro é dedicado à avó do sétimo conde, a princesa Dmitri, e retrata São Francisco de Assis cercado por pássaros e animais, incluindo um canguru. Novamente, isso pode causar alguma curiosidade, caso alguém não saiba que sua família veio de New South Wales.



"Eu chamo arquitetura de música congelada."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Escritor, cientista, teórico da cor e maçom alemão

Em um caso de arte imitando a arte, um comunicado à imprensa no início deste ano (2006) anunciou que & ldquofrozen music & rdquo foi encontrado escondido na arquitetura da capela Rosslyn do século 15 - a mesma capela popularizada no final do livro de Dan Brown & rsquos O código Da Vinci. A arquitetura intrigante da capela permaneceu inexplicada por mais de 450 anos, até que foi decifrada por Thomas Mitchell e seu filho Stuart Mitchell no início deste ano.

O anúncio explicou que um total de 215 cubos musicais & rdquo nos pilares e arcos da Capela Rosslyn foram encontrados para corresponder a 13 padrões de som geométricos únicos, conhecidos como figuras Chladni ou Cymatics. Esses padrões são produzidos quando uma placa de metal é borrifada com sal ou pó e vibrada por frequências sonoras. Documentado pela primeira vez por Ernst Chladni em 1787, os padrões podem variar de polígonos primitivos como triângulos, pentágonos e hexágonos a belos padrões semelhantes a Mandela, dependendo de quais frequências são usadas (ver Música da Malha Quântica) Os Mitchells descobriram que cada um dos padrões de cubo correspondia a tons musicais específicos que eram organizados em grupos verticais em torno dos pilares da capela e rsquos. Usando esses tons para formar uma melodia, os homens então compuseram e encenaram a primeira apresentação de & ldquothe Rosslyn Motet & rdquo em 18 de maio de 2007 dentro da capela.

Para ajudá-los a decodificar os cubos, eles encontraram uma figura especial de anjo & ldquostave & rdquo entalhada em um pilar que segurava um bastão musical e apontava para os três tons na clave de sol. Esses tons específicos correspondiam a alguns dos padrões de cubo.

O anjo aponta para B com a mão direita e para A e C com a esquerda. Isso foi tomado para indicar que a música estava na tonalidade de dó maior, ou lá menor relativo, com o "tom líder" B equilibrado simetricamente no centro. A partir disso, cada um dos padrões de cubo foi comparado com uma frequência particular usando uma placa quadrada de Chladni sintonizada em C. Os tons resultantes foram ordenados de baixo para cima, da esquerda para a direita ao redor das colunas começando com o anjo da pauta para produzir uma melodia assustadora.

Embora esta seja uma história verdadeiramente surpreendente, ela levanta a questão mais profunda de quem projetou a capela, por que eles esconderam essa música na arquitetura da capela e o que isso significa?

Fundada em 1446 por William Sinclair, 1º Conde de Caithness da família St. Clair, a capela Rosslyn foi construída para incluir vários símbolos agora atribuídos aos Cavaleiros Templários e à sociedade esotérica da Maçonaria. De acordo com Robert Freke Gould, autor de History of Freemasonry, & ldquoMasonry é considerado o descendente direto, ou como uma sobrevivência dos mistérios & hellipof Ísis e Osíris no Egito. & Rdquo A arquitetura intrigante da capela foi projetada por Sir Gilbert Hay, um dos mais mentes eruditas e intelectuais do século 15, sob a direção de William Sinclair. Ambos os homens são considerados ebionitas judeus / cristãos ligados à escola de mistérios essênios, uma precursora da Maçonaria moderna.

Como esta capela demonstra claramente, os padrões de ressonância criados pelas ondas sonoras refletidas eram bem compreendidos muito antes das descobertas científicas oficiais de Chladni & rsquos no século XVIII. Na verdade, o conhecimento da geometria do som pode ser rastreado até a antiga sabedoria chinesa e egípcia e foi preservado nos segredos herméticos da Maçonaria. Música, ressonância harmônica e simbolismo geométrico são parte integrante das crenças herméticas sobre a estrutura do cosmos e de toda a vida. Hay e Sinclair aparentemente procuraram preservar esse conhecimento na Capela Rosslyn.

Ao olhar para as colunas, vemos uma série de pentagramas apoiando os anjos musicais. Mas, estranhamente, os anjos substituem o triângulo superior ausente em cada pentagrama. Fazendo uma referência cruzada disso com a tradição hermética, esse triângulo ausente é o mesmo triângulo & ldquogolden & rdquo que simboliza a ressonância. A questão é como esse triângulo específico, como parte de um pentagrama, pode ser considerado ressonante e por que era tão importante que fosse esculpido em uma capela de pedra?

Um triângulo dourado, retirado do pentagrama, tem ângulos medindo 36 X 72 X 72 graus e lados em proporção à proporção áurea (

1.61803). Há uma diferença de 3 graus entre o ângulo superior da pirâmide dourada e o 33º grau mais alto da Maçonaria, representando uma razão de diferença de 3: 180, ou 0,01666667. Essa proporção pode ser representada de forma mais simples pela proporção de 5: 3 de uma sexta maior recém-afinada - o intervalo mais agradável e espectralmente ressonante na música. Ao substituir o triângulo dourado superior do pentagrama pelos anjos celestiais, os projetistas da capela podem ter simbolizado os 3 graus ressonantes que separam a humanidade do & ldquoGrande Arquiteto & rdquo. Como um jogo de palavras adicional, os designers até substituíram o topo do triângulo & rsquos & ldquoAngle & rdquo por um musical & ldquoAngel & rdquo, ambos começando com a letra & ldquoA & rdquo, derivado de um triângulo dourado usado para representar o Alfa e o Omega.

Agora podemos ver como os anjos (ou & ldquoputti & rdquo) sentados no pentagrama simbolizavam a geometria e as proporções numéricas de ressonância transmitidas da teosofia egípcia. Mas por que esse conhecimento precisaria ser escondido dessa maneira?

Para a Igreja Católica medieval, as idéias egípcias de ressonância eram consideradas parte de uma crença panteísta de Deus na natureza e eram uma ameaça direta à crença cristã em Deus fora da natureza. Como resultado, a geometria do pentagrama e certos intervalos ressonantes foram considerados impróprios para uso na Igreja. Isso era especialmente verdadeiro para o intervalo musical de três tons inteiros (seis meios-tons) conhecido como trítono.

Conhecido como Diabolus in Musica, ou o Diabo na Música, o trítono está fortemente relacionado a esse antigo entendimento de ressonância, compartilhando o que chamaremos agora de uma "relação harmônica inversa" com uma consonantal maior. O anjo da pauta de Rosslyn enfatiza esse fato apontando para a parte do intervalo de trítono conhecido como o "tom líder". Na verdade, a melodia dos cubos enfatiza o trítono de uma forma que seria inaceitável para a Igreja Católica do século XV.

Banido pelo Papa Gregório IX em 1234, o trítono foi e ainda é proibido na música católica. Como resultado, os maçons esconderam o uso desse intervalo proibido, codificando-o como símbolos cimáticos na arquitetura da capela. Essa era a forma de preservar o que consideravam conhecimento egípcio sagrado, numa época em que a Europa era hostil a tais crenças. Mas há outra reviravolta nessa história que leva o conceito de ressonância a um nível ainda mais alto de simbolismo teosófico.

Embora existam 13 anjos correspondendo aos 13 padrões de cubo exclusivos, também existem 8 dragões cujas línguas envolvem a & ldquoTree of Life & rdquo esculpida na parte inferior dos pilares. Juntos, os anjos e dragões representam simbolicamente a proporção de Fibonacci de 13: 8 ou 1,625. Esta proporção passa a ser a primeira razão Fibonacci ascendente não encontrado como um intervalo ressonante na série harmônica. Isso inicia a convergência das proporções de Fibonacci restantes para a proporção de ouro (

1,61803) encontrado no pentagrama e no triângulo dourado.

É um fato pouco conhecido que as proporções dos números adjacentes na série de Fibonacci começando com 13: 8 = 1,625 criam um efeito de amortecimento natural na onda estacionária de um tom musical ou outra vibração coerente. À medida que cada proporção de Fibonacci ascendente se aproxima da proporção áurea infinita, o efeito de amortecimento aumenta, cancelando assim todas as ondas fracionárias e deixando apenas os harmônicos inteiros vibrarem simpaticamente. Este efeito de amortecimento é amplamente utilizado no projeto de caixas de som e teatros, geralmente aproximado de 1,62 X 1,0 X 0,62 para cancelar a reflexão. As ondas harmônicas simplesmente não podem ressoar na proporção de frequência infinita da razão áurea ou perto dela. O dragão, como a serpente mítica que detém conhecimento secreto no Mundo Inferior, representa esse efeito de amortecimento anti-harmônico na natureza, que é contrabalançado pela ressonância simbólica do anjo e rsquos.

Isso nos leva a mais uma revelação sobre a Capela Rosslyn. Ao revisar as dimensões da capela, o comprimento é exatamente o dobro da largura, enquanto a proporção altura-comprimento é igual à média áurea. Além disso, o comprimento da seção do coro em proporção ao comprimento da capela é uma sexta maior 5: 3. Visto que uma sexta maior é o intervalo mais ressonante possível, o coro atua como uma câmara de ressonância máxima na direção horizontal enquanto amortece as ondas estacionárias refletidas na direção vertical. Desta forma, os designers da capela projetaram uma câmara perfeitamente atenuada que amplificava a voz e a música enquanto minimizava os ecos. Talvez isso também tivesse a intenção de ser um símbolo acústico que poderia & ldquothaw & rdquo a música congelada na arquitetura.

A arquitetura da Capela Rosslyn combina o simbolismo mitológico de alfa-ômega ou bem versus mal em um equilíbrio musical de ressonância harmônica e amortecimento anti-harmônico. O símbolo secreto do amortecimento harmônico pode ser encontrado hoje no apelido & ldquo007 & rdquo tomado por Ian Fleming de John Dee, um agente secreto original do século 16 para a Rainha Elizabeth I, autoproclamado & ldquoangelic-alquimista & rdquo e matemático hermético muito familiarizado com as proporções harmônicas. Também o encontramos no símbolo negativo persistente de ressonância - a marca cristã da besta & rdquo 666.

Mas os projetistas da capela sugerem uma interpretação mais equilibrada desse simbolismo. Os 215 cubos musicais da capela totalizam menos de 216, o antigo número hebraico para Deus. Diz-se que encontrar o código que falta para este número - seis ao cubo ou 6 * 6 * 6 - desencadeará a Era Messiânica de paz. Com isso, tudo na Capela Rosslyn parece ter a intenção de substituir os simbolismos equivocados do mal pela verdade e esperança.

Forças opostas de ressonância e amortecimento estão em toda parte na natureza: o espaçamento dos elétrons em um átomo, órbitas interplanetárias médias, padrões de ramificação nas plantas e o espaçamento das juntas nos animais que permitem o movimento articulado. Sem essa dualidade, nada poderia vibrar, se mover ou mesmo viver. Transmitidos do Egito e do Oriente, conduzidos à clandestinidade nas irmandades esotéricas, esses princípios harmônicos fundamentais são a própria definição do sagrado. O que poderia ser mais apropriado para qualquer espaço sagrado de templo do que a harmonia da natureza?


Partitura musical da Capela Rosslyn 'decodificada'

As esculturas na Capela Rosslyn, na Escócia, com 600 anos de idade, representam uma forma codificada de uma partitura musical, dizem o time de pai e filho de Tommy J. Mitchell, 75 e Stuart Mitchell, 41.

"[A] Capela Rosslyn guarda um mistério musical em sua arquitetura e design. Em uma extremidade da capela, no teto há 4 seções transversais de arcos contendo elaborados designs simbólicos em cada matriz de cubos (na verdade, são principalmente retângulos ). Os 'cubos' são fixados aos arcos de uma forma musicalmente sequencial. E para confirmar isso, nas extremidades de cada arco há um anjo tocando um instrumento musical de um tipo diferente. Após 27 anos de estudo e pesquisa por [ O pai de Stuart, Thomas J. Mitchell], acreditamos que ele encontrou os tons e tonalidades que correspondem aos símbolos em cada cubo, revelando suas progressões melódicas e harmônicas ", disse T. Mitchell em um comunicado publicado em seu site.

A partitura musical está "congelada" na capela há 600 anos. Dentro da capela, há 13 anjos que T. Mitchell chama de "orquestra de anjos", que são esculpidos nos arcos da capela e que parecem ser músicos.

Ao redor dos anjos estão 213 símbolos geométricos que se assemelham a ondas sonoras em tons diferentes. Depois de decodificar todos os símbolos para coincidir com as ondas sonoras, eles encontraram a música que os pesquisadores dizem fazer parte do sistema de música "cimática", também conhecido como "padrões Chladni", que é o estudo dos fenômenos de onda associados aos padrões físicos produzidos através do interação de ondas sonoras em um meio.

"É o que poderíamos chamar de 'música congelada', um pouco como a criogenia. A música foi congelada no tempo pelo simbolismo, era apenas uma questão de tempo antes que o simbolismo começasse a 'descongelar' e começar a fazer sentido para o científico e percepção musical ", disse T. Mitchell.

Mitchell descreve a música como uma melodia celta ou uma canção de ninar.

"A combinação incomum de instrumentos, suas dinâmicas, afinações e texturas recriam um som há muito esquecido do passado. As melodias são simples, mas se desenvolvem e se desdobram harmonicamente da maneira mais simplista, mas charmosa. O arranjo sequencial dos cubos muitas vezes é uma série de notas / símbolos repetidos que significam um sentido mais funcional do que estético para a música. Às vezes, soa um pouco como uma 'canção de ninar' e também há uma sensação de 'ar celta' na música ", acrescentou a declaração de Mitchell .

Os Mitchells adicionaram palavras de um hino contemporâneo à música e deram nome à composição The Rosslyn Motet, que é interpretado pelo Coro de Câmara Tallis e produzido por Stuart Mitchell.

Atualmente está disponível em CD e estréia em um concerto de estreia mundial em 18 de maio, que será realizado na Capela Rosslyn.

A capela teve um aumento de visitantes, turistas e pesquisadores desde que apareceu no livro e no filme O código Da Vinci.


Rosslyn Mitchell - História


Os Cubos e o Pilar do Aprendiz




Coluna em Espiral - Simbologia de DNA - Consciência

A Capela Rosslyn, ou Capela Colegiada de St Mathew como deveria ter sido, foi fundada em 1446 pelo Senhor William St Clair , terceiro e último St Clair Prince of Orkney.

Na verdade, é apenas parte do coro do que se pretendia ser um edifício cruciforme maior com uma torre no centro.

Mais de trinta e sete igrejas colegiadas foram construídas na Escócia entre os reinados de Jaime I e Jaime IV (1406-1513). Eram fundações seculares destinadas a difundir o conhecimento intelectual e espiritual, e a extravagância de sua construção dependia da riqueza de seu fundador.

Depois que Sir William morreu em 1484, ele foi enterrado na capela inacabada e o edifício maior que planejou nunca foi concluído. Mas as fundações da nave teriam sido escavadas no século XIX e encontradas estendendo-se 31 metros além da porta oeste original da capela, sob o batistério e o cemitério existentes.

O que foi construído, no entanto, é extraordinário o suficiente,

'Este edifício, acredito, pode ser declarado único, e estou confiante de que será considerado curioso, elaborado e singularmente interessante, impossível de designar por qualquer termo dado ou familiar' escreveu Britton em seu Architectural Antiquities of Britain (1812), acrescentando um tanto desesperadoramente que sua 'variedade e excentricidade não devem ser definidas por quaisquer palavras de aceitação comum'.

A principal autoridade na história da Capela e da família St Clair é o Pai Richard Augustine Hay, Cônego de St Genevieve em Paris e Prior de St Piermont.

Ele examinou registros históricos e cartas dos St Clairs e completou um estudo de três volumes em 1700, partes dos quais foram publicadas em 1835 como A geneologie of the Sainteclaires of Rosslyn.

Sua pesquisa foi oportuna, uma vez que os documentos originais desapareceram posteriormente.

Do fundador, o Padre Hay disse o seguinte:

O príncipe William, com a idade se aproximando, começou a considerar como passara o passado e como passaria os dias restantes.

Portanto, ao final, para que não parecesse totalmente ingrato a Deus pelos benefícios que recebia Dele, veio-lhe à mente construir uma casa para o serviço de Deus, das mais curiosas obras, a qual pudesse ser feita com maior glória e esplendor ele fez com que artífices fossem trazidos de outras regiões e reinos estrangeiros e fez com que diariamente houvesse abundância de todos os tipos de trabalhadores presentes como pedreiros, carpinteiros, ferreiros, carroceiros e pedreiros. a fundação desta obra ele fez com que fosse colocada no ano de nosso Senhor 1446, e no final, a obra pode ser mais rara, primeiro ele fez com que rascunhos (planos) fossem desenhados sobre tábuas de Eastland [madeira Báltica importada], e ele fez os carpinteiros esculpê-los de acordo com os rascunhos nele e os deu como padrões aos pedreiros, para que eles pudessem cortar semelhantes na pedra e porque ele pensava que os pedreiros não tinham um lugar conveniente para se alojar. ele os fez construir o cidade de Rolsine que agora existe e deu a todos uma casa e terras.

Ele recompensou os pedreiros de acordo com seu grau, pois ao Mestre Maçom, ele deu quase 40 libras por ano, e para todos os demais, 10 libras.

Filho de Sir William e sucessor do Baronato de Rosslyn, Senhor Oliver St Clair, cobriu o coro com sua abóbada de pedra, mas não fez mais nada para cumprir o projeto original de seu pai.

The Chapel was generously endowed by the founder, with provision for a provost, six prebendaries and two choristers, and in 1523 by his grandson, also Sir William, with land for dwelling houses and gardens.

On February 26, 1571, however, just forty-eight years after his last endowment, there is a record of the provost and prebendaries resigning because of the endowments being taken by 'force and violence' into secular hands as the effects of the Reformation took hold.

The Presbytery records of Dalkeith reveal that in 1589 William Knox, brother of John Knox and minister of Cockpen, was censured,

'for baptizing the Laird of Rosling's bairne' in Rosslyn Chapel, which was described as a 'house and monument of idolatrie, and not ane place appointit for teiching the word and ministratioun of ye sacrementis'.

The following year, the Presbytery forbade Mr George Ramsay, minister of Lasswade, from burying the wife of a later Oliver St Clair in the Chapel.

The St Clairs had not yet succumbed to the Reformation and remained Roman Catholics.

This Oliver St Clair was repeatedly warned to destroy the altars in the Chapel and in1592 was summoned to appear before the General Assembly and threatened with excommunication if the altars remained standing after August 17 th , 1592.

On August 31st, the same George Ramsay reported that 'the altars of Roslene were haille demolishit'. From that time the Chapel ceased to be used as a house of prayer and soon fell into disrepair.

In 1650, during the Civil War, Cromwell's troops under General Monk attacked the castle and his horses were stabled in the Chapel.

On December 11 th , 1688, shortly after the protestant William of Orange had landed in England and displaced the Catholic James II, a mob from Edinburgh and some of the villagers from Roslin entered and damaged the Chapel. Their object was to destroy the furniture and vestments, which were now regarded as Popish and idolatrous.

The Chapel remained abandoned until 1736, when St James St Clair glazed the windows for the first time, repaired the roof, and re-laid the floor with flagstones. The boundary wall was also built at this time.

Quando Dorothy Wordsworth visited the Chapel on September 17 th , 1807, she remarked:

'Went to view the inside of the Chapel of Roslyn, which is kept locked up, and so preserved from the injuries it might otherwise receive from idle boys, but as nothing is done to keep it together, it must, in the end, fall. The architecture within is exquisitely beautiful.'

Further repairs to the Chapel were undertaken at the beginning of the nineteenth century and in 1861 it was agreed by James Alexander, 3 rd Earl of Rosslyn, that Sunday services should begin again.

He instructed the Edinburgh architect David Bryce to carry out restoration work. The carvings in the Lady Chapel were attended to, stones were relaid in the crypt and an altar established there.

The Chapel was rededicated on Tuesday April 22 nd , 1862, by the Bishop of Edinburgh and the Bishop of Brechin preached from the text,

'Our Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth'.

The Reverend R. Cole, then resident military chaplain at Greenlaw Barracks near Penicuick, became private chaplain to the Earl.

Lady Helen Wedderburn, daughter of the 7 th Earl of Airlie, who lived nearby at Rosebank, organized a subscription from which some of the interior fittings were provided.

In 1880-1, Francis Robert, 4 th Earl of Rosslyn, added the apse to serve as a baptistery with an organ loft above. The work is by Andrew Kerr. The Earl also filled the baptistery arch with the handsome oak tracery which you see today, decorated with his crest. Together with the two Chapel doors, this is the only wood used in the construction of the building.

The cost of the work was seven hundred and fifty eight pounds, eight shillings and six pennies, with a further thirty four pounds and eighteen shillings to Andrew Kerr for fees.

Kerr told the Earl that a party of visitors,

'had remarked that it was wonderful that such young men should be entrusted to execute such carving,' to which the estate factor 'very coolly replied, that it was not wonderful here, as the finest pillar in the Chapel was the work of an apprentice boy.'

The Earl was happy with the work and in a letter to Kerr on November 16 th , wrote:

'I must say that the author pronounces your building a complete success.'

In 1915, a report on the fabric by Sir Robert Lorimer observed:

'The stone work of the Chapel is in fairly good order and requires very little done to it. a few of the stones are crumbling but not to the extent to cause any alarm. The condition of the roof is not satisfactory. and there are a number of gaps and cracks all over.'

He recommended that the exterior of the roof be covered with asphalt and this was carried out.

In 1942 the Chapel was almost closed for a second time when a government official called Robertson wrote to the Minister of Labour, Ernest Bevin MP,

'that the Episcopalian Church at Roslin was almost empty every Sunday. on a recent Sunday there was a congregation of only two, and apart from the Clergyman's labour there must be other workers employed in cleaning and looking after the church and I suggest that steps are taken to close it down.'

A copy of the letter was sent to Gwilym Lloyd George MP, the Minister of Fuel, who in turn wrote to the Secretary of State for Scotland in the following terms

'I enclose a copy of a letter from David Robertson which causes me considerable embarrassment, who am I, a Welshman, that I should do anything that might imperil the eternal salvation of one Scottish Episcopalian. In any case, from the fuel point of view, I doubt whether I would be justified in securing a small economy of fuel in this world at the possible cost of a disproportionate expenditure of it on myself in the next.'

Further work was carried out by Anthony 6 th Earl of Rosslyn, in the 1950's when the crypt roof was repaired and the interior carvings cleaned by hand over a period of several years. He also added the stained glass windows in the baptistery.

A report of May 1954 from the Ancient Monuments Branch of the Ministry of Works records that,

'surfaces covered with green algae will be scrubbed down with stiff bristle brushes. using a solution of .880 ammonia and water. Water will then be used copiously until the surfaces are clean and free from dirt and vegetation.

Flaky patches will be sealed off. Hollow areas in ornament will receive special treatment by grouting. and when the surfaces are thoroughly dry they will be hardened with silica fluoride of magnesium at a rate of 1lb per two gallons of water.'

This work was in accordance with the thinking of the time but not, unfortunately, with current conservation philosophy.

The effect of the magnesium fluoride - a cementitious slurry - was to seal the internal surface of the masonry with an impermeable coating, so that the stone became saturated with water containing soluble pollutants. In addition, the coldness of the wet stone encouraged condensation.

A report in 1995 confirmed that damage was occurring and that humidity in the Chapel was very high. It recommended that steps should be taken to dry out the saturated masonry, remove if possible the cementitious coating, and restore the permeability of the richly carved inner surfaces of the Chapel.

In March 1997, a free-standing steel structure was erected to cover the Chapel. It will enable the stone fabric of the roof vaults to dry outwards, away from the carved interior surfaces. In due course the bituminous felt, asphalt and concrete coverings of the stone roof vaults will be removed to assist this process.

Stone and mortar repairs to the external walls, pinnacles, and buttresses, renewal of the rainwater disposal arrangements, repairs to the stained glass, and appropriate repair and conservation of the interior are all required.

The coverings over the stone vaulted roofs will be renewed in lead and ways of removing the cementitious slurry are being investigated, in order that this magnificent building can be preserved for future generations to use and admire.

The year 2000 saw the Trust embark on a second phase of work.

Funded jointly by The National Heritage Lottery Fund, The Eastern Scotland European Partnership, Historic Scotland and the Rosslyn Chapel Trust, this phase has a number of elements. Essential stabilization works to the east boundary walls will protect the Chapel.

A new roof of Caithness slate has been placed over the existing Crypt roof, and the Priest's Cell and two more modern buildings beside the Crypt have been made functional. The stairs to the Crypt have been repaired and the access to the Crypt is now both safer and more of an experience.

Work has also been carried out to improve the electrical services in the Chapel, repairs to the wooden screen at the west end, and our interpretation of Rosslyn's story.

Rosslyn Chapel, originally named the Collegiate Chapel of St. Matthew, is a 15 th Century church in the village of Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland.

The chapel was designed by William Sinclair of the St. Clair family, a Scottish noble family descended from Norman knights and, according to legend, linked to the Knights Templar. Construction of the chapel began in 1440, and the chapel was officially founded in 1446. Construction lasted for forty years.

Some authors have theorized that the Chapel's west wall is actually a model of the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and is part of the structure by design, rather than proof of another intended stage of building, which would have made the site about the size of a Cathedral.

The chapel has long been famous for its possible connections to Freemasonry and its attendant rituals.

This was first publicized by Knight and Lomas, but it is also found in works by Michael Baigent e Leigh e Tim Wallace Murphy (circa 1990), and the connections entered mainstream consciousness when named in the novel The Da Vinci Code for its (possible) links to the Holy Grail.

Despite the fictitious nature of this work, its influence has been considerable.

The Scottish NGO The Friends of Rosslyn, which own the land surrounding the Chapel and the Rosslyn Chapel Trust which administers the Chapel, have both published a number of books and literature on the Chapel.

Certainly the Chapel is used by the modern Knights Templar (a masonic group rather than descendants of the military religious order) for 'investiture' ceremonies, and because of its connection to one of the more famous freemasons ( William Sinclair ) and also due to the Masonic architecture and symbolism featured on the Chapel walls, many Freemasons from all over the world visit it. Certain points in its architecture are quite indicative of a Masonic, and Templar, connection.

In addition to the theory that the Chapel was used by Freemasons and Knights Templar is the claim that those groups, stationed at Rosslyn Chapel, journeyed to North America and back before Columbus.

This claim is based on several points:

  1. some of what appear to be the oldest graveyards in Nova Scotia (which means New Scotland) have Masonic symbols and Crusader crosses on them

  2. the Westford Knight is a rock engraving in Massachusetts supposedly showing a Scottish knight, linked to the Henry Sinclair party, with the Clan Gunn markings

  3. most importantly, Rosslyn Chapel, although completed six years before Columbus' voyage, allegedly has stone carvings in it of plants unique to the Western hemisphere

Because of its rumored connections with Freemasonry, the chapel has inevitably become listed as one of the possible final resting places of The Holy Grail.

This is a possibility based on legends of 'Secret Vaults' and the possibility that the similarities between Rosslyn and the Temple of Jerusalem might be more than cosmetic.

o White Lady of Rosslyn Castle is said to hide a secret worth 'millions of pounds' - and some have suggested that this could be The Grail or instructions on how to find it.

St Clair legend suggests that there are three big medieval chests (probably the size of steamer trunks) buried somewhere on the property, and this has inevitably led to various theories as to the chests' contents. Past scanning and excavations in or near the Chapel have not yielded any such chests.

Sealed chambers under the basement of the chapel, however, have yet to be excavated for fear of collapse of the entire structure.

These chambers are filled with pure white Arabic sand - rumored to have been brought to the chapel by the Knights Templar from the Dome of the Rock - and ultrasonic scans have revealed six leaden vaults within the sand.

It should be noted that it is only the Ruined Wall that is based on the Temple of Jerusalem - the chapel itself most closely resembles the East Quire of Glasgow Cathedral.

The Chapel is famous for its two pillars:

  • the Apprentice Pillar

  • the Master Pillar which,

. though next to each other, are carved differently.

Masonic Architects believe these structures could signify the pillars of Boaz and Jachin.

Most interestingly are the (pictorial) references to the Key of Hiram, a significant piece of Masonic legend in the wall carvings, and in depictions of the New World, purportedly showing maize and aloe vera plants about a century before the discovery of North America, suggesting pre-Columbus travel there (the La Merika theory).

Also many archaeoastronomers believe that the walls are carved with azimuths, that give co-ordinates for sites in Iceland (where the St. Clairs supposedly originated) and across Britain.

In September 2007 a musical cipher hidden in mystical symbols carved into the stone ceiling of Rosslyn Chapel was reported as being unraveled by Scottish composer Stuart Mitchell.

His feat was hailed by experts as a stroke of genius.

The codes were hidden in 213 cubes in the ceiling of the chapel, where parts of the film of Dan Brown's best-seller The Da Vinci Code were shot. Each cube contained different patterns to form an unusual 6 minute piece of music for 13 medieval players.

The unusual sound is thought to have been of great spiritual significance to those who built the chapel. The melody was unraveled after Mr Mitchell discovered the stones at the bottom of each of 12 pillars inside the chapel formed a cadence (three chords at the end of a piece of music) of which there were only three types in the 15 th century.

Mr. Mitchell said the music sounded like a nursery rhyme.

"Everyone wants to hear something miraculous but William Sinclair, who designed the chapel, was an architect, not a musician," he said.

"It is evident from the nursery rhyme style of the music that he could not play very well. It is in triple time, sounds childlike and is based on plain chant which was the common form of rhythm of the time."

The strange combination of instruments in the piece includes bagpipes, whistles, trumpet, a medieval mouth piano, guitar and singers.

The Rosslyn Stave Angel - Music Cipher

In 2007, Stuart's CD and book, "The Rosslyn Motet", were complete and hit the world by storm as researchers hope to unlock ancient secrets through music:

Stuart Mitchell discovered a series of figures which he calls an "orchestra of angels" at the base of elaborate arches round the altar, with each angel holding a musical instrument. He worked with his father, Thomas, to decipher the patterns on cubes which jut out from the arches.

Exclusive Da Vinci Chorus

Father and son team discover the Holy Grail of music hidden away for 600 years on the columns of Rosslyn Chapel.

A father and son code breaking team have discovered music's Holy Grail - hidden in intricate carvings at Rosslyn Chapel for almost 600 years. Music teacher Thomas Mitchell, 75, strived for 27 years before he and pianist son Stuart, 41, deciphered symbols in the chapel which featured in The Da Vinci Code book and film.

The pair will reveal the secret songs in a special concert at the Midlothian chapel next month.

Thomas, of Edinburgh, said:

"The music is the result of years of painstaking research, recreating secret notes hidden for almost 600 years in carvings on the arches within the chapel itself.

"We believe this is the Holy Grail of music and, unlike the Da Vinci Code, it is absolutely factual."

Thomas was intrigued by the sculpted angels and hundreds of intricately carved cubes in the arches of the Lady Chapel.

Using skills learned as an RAF code-breaker during the Korean War and his lifetime knowledge of classical music, he finally realized they depicted the vibrations of musical notes.

"It was a Eureka moment to end all Eureka moments.

"Many angels were carrying musical instruments and some were even grouped as if they were a choir.

"But one angel gave me the biggest problem. He was carrying something and at first I thought it was musical instrument which had been lost in the mists of time.

"It was only when I realized that he was carrying a musical stave, the blueprint for all musical composition, that I knew I was looking at a secretly coded piece of music.

"By recreating the patterns on each of the carved cubes, with Stuart's help, we unlocked the notes to find a haunting piece of music had been hidden in the arches for centuries.

"For the choral sections, we've used the words from the hymns to St John the Baptist taken from Matthew in the Old Testament which is fitting because the chapel itself is dedicated to St Matthew."

Stuart, a classical composer and pianist, used computers to decipher the carvings' secret music. He has named the medieval music the Rosslyn Motet.

"I also used authentic mediaeval instruments to recreate the music exactly and it truly is a masterpiece.

"While the Da Vinci Code was full of red herrings to make it a thrilling work of fiction, the Rosslyn Motet music is a tangible work people can listen to. For centuries, scholars have been convinced Rosslyn holds the key to many different areas of knowledge.

"We think we've cracked one particularly fascinating code, although we're convinced Rosslyn holds many, many more."

Four singers will join eight musicians playing mediaeval instruments to perform the Rosslyn Motet at Rosslyn on May 18.

Simon Beattie, of the Rosslyn Chapel Trust, said:

"We're looking forward to the event as this is a such an exciting and intriguing piece of work. The music is particularly haunting and we cannot help feel this is yet another of the many puzzles that make Rosslyn such an astonishing place."

Rosslyn Chapel was built by Sir William Sinclair and Sir Gilbert Haye in the 15 th century.

Steeped in the history of the Knights Templar and Freemasonry , Roslyn's mysteries are famous worldwide. Among the theories surrounding Rosslyn is that it is the secret resting place of the Holy Grail, the Ark of the Covenant and even the mummified head of Christ.

  1. Carved angels and blocks above their head in arches of chapel baffled Thomas until he realized this one was holding a musical stave - and that the blocks signified notes.

  2. Using this specially enhanced photo, Thomas and Stuart worked out that the carvings above the angel represent A, B and C.

  3. Thomas and Stuart used this metal plate to recreate the ancient method of making notes. The plate is vibrated and sand poured on until it forms a particular pattern - indicating the correct pitch. The patterns match those carved into the arches of Rosslyn Chapel.

Rosslyn Chapel holds many secrets. For hundreds of years experts and visitors alike have puzzled over the carvings in the chapel. Whilst some debate whether they point to hidden treasure, Edinburgh composer Stuart Mitchell thinks he has cracked one part of the enigma.

He believes that the ornate ceiling of carved arches, featuring 213 decorated cubes holds a code for medieval music.

His father Thomas Mitchell spent 20 years cracking this code in the ceiling and now Stuart is orchestrating the findings for a new recording called The Rosslyn Motet:

They hope that the music, when played on medieval instruments in situ, will resonate throughout the chapel unlocking a secret in the stone.

The breakthrough to interpreting the notation came when Mitchell's father discovered that the markings carved on the face of the cubes seem to match a phenomenon called Cymatics or Chladni patterns.

Chladni patterns form when a sustained note is used to vibrate a sheet of metal covered in powder producing marks. The frequency used dictates the shape of the pattern, for example the musical note A below middle C vibrates at 440 KHz and produces a shape that looks like a rhombus.

Different notes can produce various shapes including flowers, diamonds and hexagons - shapes all present on the Rosslyn cubes.

Stuart Mitchell believes this is "beyond coincidence" and has assigned a note to each cube. Ernst Chladni first documented the phenomenon in the late 18 th century - yet it appears to be present in a 15 th century building.

Which begs the question:

"Was Sir William St Clair (the man who built Rosslyn Chapel) familiar with sciences far in advance of his time?".

Stuart Mitchell believes a link between the Knights Templar � who may have gleaned advanced Eastern scientific knowledge during their stay in Jerusalem during the Crusades � and Rosslyn could explain the encoded musical notes.

"The symbolism in Rosslyn is reaching back to times of a civilization that is lost to us now that had sciences that are the roots of all the mechanics of the universe," says Mitchell.

If this science was used in the carvings at Rosslyn, then there needs to be an explanation of how this information came to be lost for centuries.

According to Mitchell, the Church suppressed the knowledge as a means of controlling the public.

"What it points towards is the church system denying people certain knowledge because knowledge is awareness. People who knew too much were burnt as witches."

According to Mitchell this is a Chladni pattern -
a way of showing a musical note by way of its vibrations.

Interestingly the Devil's Chord - diabolus in musica - makes an appearance in the music.

"In the ceiling is this jump of an augmented fourth, in fact it opens up with an augmented fourth," says Mitchell.

The Catholic Church had banned this interval (seven semitones) from medieval music as it was believed to be disturbing and therefore diabolical. Perhaps St Clair was indeed challenging the authority of the church.

The music itself, according to Mitchell is a mix,

"of Celtic melodies and secular worship crossed with a kind of Christian worship" but not Catholic he says.

Perhaps this explains why carvings depicting the green man , essentially a pagan image, exist alongside carvings of Christ in the chapel.

"[Orkney] and the Shetlands had a very big druid, pagan community and they had their own culture of music," says Mitchell.

"William St Clair was the last Earl of Orkney and some of the melodies in the ceiling of Rosslyn Chapel are Orkney/Shetland Airs."

Mitchell doesn't believe that the notes were carved there simply to record a piece of music. He hopes that the repeated frequencies in the music will resonate within the building and unlock a medieval secret."

Hopefully, knowing masons of this period of time were aware of the acoustic properties and the effect of resonance upon stone, we're hoping something falls loose it's like a safe. This is why we think he [St Clair] has gone to so much trouble."

Mitchell has no idea what may be hidden in the church, but believes that St Clair used advanced science to ensure that the music was hidden from prying eyes.

Mitchell, dubbing the project "The Voice of Creation", says the carvings on the cubes are ultimately about sacred geometry .

"What it's saying is we've forgotten more than we know. Perhaps the music is indeed a key to the past, the physics of the universe and just maybe, played loud enough inside Rosslyn, it will unlock a long lost secret hidden in the masonry.

Stuart and I discussed the 213 cubes on the ceiling and the Apprentice Pillar, at the top of which we find the stave angels, and at the bottom an Ouroboros which takes us to 2012 and coming full circle into the light.

Basically my father and I calculated the frequencies of the 3 notes that the stave angel is pointing out and it amounts to this:

At (ancient tunings)

Gilbert Hay (fl.1432-1456) or Sir Gilbert the Haye, Scottish poet and translator, was perhaps a kinsman of the house of Errol.

If he is the student named in the registers of the university of St Andrews in 1418-1419, his birth may be fixed about 1403. He was in France in 1432, perhaps some years earlier, for a "Gilbert de la Haye" is mentioned as present at Reims, in July 1430, at the coronation of Charles VII.

He has left it on record, in the Prologue to his Buke of the Law of Arrays, that he was,

"chaumerlayn umquhyle to the maist worthy King Charles of France."

In 1456 he was back in Scotland, in the service of the chancellor, William, Earl of Orkney and Caithness, "in his castell of Roselyn," south of Edinburgh. The date of his death is unknown.

Hay is named by Dunbar in his Lament for the Makaris, and by Sir David Lyndsay in his Testament and Complaynt of the Papyngo. His only political work is The Buik of Alexander the Conquerour, of which a portion, in copy, remains at Taymouth Castle.

He has left three translations, extant in one volume (in old binding) in the collection of Abbotsford:

  • The Buke of the Law of Arms or the Buke of Bataillis, a translation of Honore Bonet's Arbre des batailles

  • The Buke of the Order of Iinichthood from the Livre de l'ordre de chevalerie

  • The Buke of tile Governaunce of Princes, from a French version of the pseudo-Aristotelian Secrela secrelorum

The second of these precedes Caxton's independent translation by at least ten years.

For the Bulk of Alexander see Albert Herrmann's The Taymouth Castle Manuscript of Sir Gilbert hays Buik, etc. (Berlin, 1898). The complete Abbotsford Manuscript has been reprinted by the Scottish Text Society (d. JH Stevenson). The first volume, containing The Buke of the Law of Arms, appeared in 1901. The Order of Knighthood was printed by David Laing for the Abbotsford Club (1847).

See also SFS edition Introduction and Gregory Smith's Specimens of Middle Scots, in which annotated extracts are given from the Abbotsford Manuscript , the oldest known example of literary Scots prose.

A = 440
B = 493
C = 523
---------------
1456 (the year Sir Gilbert Haye Died)

The serpents round the bottom of The Apprentice Pillar looks Chinese to me, which might also explain a lot about Gilbert Hay 's trip to China and his interest in vibrational harmonics. A serpent swallowing its tail, sounds like the Rings of Saturn.


About the Cubes
There were originally 215. Two of them have been broken off and lost in the past 500 years with no apparent explanation of why or how from Rosslyn.

215 does not make a significant number but 216 would. 216 as you know Ellie is a cosmologically important number. We know that Earth's polar circumference is 21,600 nautical miles, or 'minutes of latitude' arc. It is also interesting that "our" math conventions use 21,600 arc-minutes as the circumference of 'any' circle or sphere.

One of the most ancient and most celebrated sacred places of our planet is the temple of Lord Shiva Nataraja in the South Indian City of Chidambaram. Here Lord Shiva dances his dance of creation and dissolution. The Dance of Cosmos. The hereditary priesthood which have been the guardians of the Lord and his temple since the time of its origins follow the Vedic pattern of ritual worship.

The sanctum in which the Lord is performing his Cosmic Dance is called the Cit Sabha , the Hall of Consciousness.

It is a wooden structure, which differs in its shape form all other sanctums found in Indian temples. And its corbelled shaped roof has been covered with golden tiles from the time of its consecration. It consists of 21600 tiles, representing the human breaths, and these are held together by 720,00 nails, representing the Nadis of the human energy body.

My suggestion is that there should be 216 cubes/rectangles on the ceiling of Rosslyn (counting the 2 that are missing) because putting all the cubes together into one BIG cube would give us 216. Also a pattern will emerge when the correct sequence of smaller patterns are merged together. The final note of the music maybe?!

216 is also 6x6x6 and many other connotations.

When he caught sight of the bright red pentagon glowing above the great rose window of Rosslyn Chapel.

By rediscovering the light box, forgotten for hundreds of years, Butler and John Ritchie, co-author of Rosslyn Revealed, moved closer to illuminating their theory that the truth about the chapel is even stranger than the fiction made world-famous by Dan Brown.

Just when you think there can't be anything left to dig up when it comes to secret codes and Rosslyn Chapel, another layer is unearthed.

The latest mystery involving a carving scratched on the wall of the crypt - doesn't involve the Knights Templar, the bloodline of Christ or any ancient secret societies.

But for Ashley Cowie - who has spent the best part of a decade trying to work out its meaning - the carving has huge global significance for Scotland when it comes to the history of ancient navigation.

"What is down there is an example of a lost system for measuring time and distance involving both latitude and longitude. It's a priceless mapping treasure."

This navigational teaching board - if that's what it is - forms the basis of Cowie's new book, The Rosslyn Matrix , which presents his case for Rosslyn Chapel having a cartographic explanation.

At first glance, the mysterious carving looks a bit like a miniature electricity pylon with a latticed construction of uprights and grids. At the top is the outline of a misshapen cup which has a five-pointed star on one of the sides.

Inside the cup shape, stacked on top of each other, are four diamond-shaped lozenges of different lengths and widths.

Great stonemasons settled next to the wooded glen to construct the library in stone, a building alive with symbolism and bursting with imagery.


The Legends of Rosslyn

Rosslyn Chapel is a place wreathed in legend and most of the legends are associated with the Knights Templar. The Templars were a crusading order, a band of warrior monks who were pledged to protect Christian pilgrims travelling to the Middle East. Their cause was a popular one. Wealthy people often left money or land to the Templars in their wills and, over time, the order became immensely rich so rich in fact that even kings began to resent and fear the Templars. The French king, Philip IV, who had de facto control of the Papacy, in 1312, persuaded his puppet on the papal throne to issue an edict accusing the Templars of practising black magic, dissolving the order and confiscating its wealth.

According to legend, the Templars then fled to Scotland and took up residence there. Why Scotland? Well, Scotland’s King Robert the Bruce had once murdered one of his rivals in a church and, as a consequence, had been excommunicated. Scotland was therefore one of the few places in Europe where the writ of the Papacy did not run. The founder of the Templar order, Hugo de Payns, had also been married to Catherine de St Clair of Roslin so the order had historical connections to Scotland. According to the legend, the Templars then put down roots in their new country.

Having accumulated a vast store of occult knowledge in the East where they had been exposed to a variety of mystical traditions, they chose to embody it in the carvings of Rosslyn Chapel when construction began on it in 1446, perhaps even burying their fabled treasure within its vaults – which some say included the Holy Grail itself. Rumours of mysterious artefacts, either contained within secret vaults beneath the chapel, or embedded within the Apprentice Pillar, one of the most ornate pillars in the building, have circulated for a long time. These hidden treasures have been said to include the Holy Grail, the mummified head of Jesus, and documents from the early period of the Christian faith.

A descendant of the St. Clair family was the first Grand Master of the Order of Freemasons in Scotland. This has given rise to the belief that Freemasonry had its roots in Templar tradition.


600-Year-Old Music Found Encoded in Chapel Walls

Reuters reports that father-and-son team Thomas and Stuart Mitchell have unlocked a coded music system present in decorations of the Rosslyn Chapel. (Rosslyn may be familiar to readers as the fifteenth-century Scottish chapel featured at the end of The Da Vinci Code.)

The chapel contains 213 carved blocks showing thirteen geometric patterns. In addition to these blocks, there are carved angels playing musical instruments, including one who is pointing to certain notes on a musical staff.

So here's the crazy math part -- Thomas Mitchell discovered that the thirteen geometric patterns carved on the blocks were cymatics (also known as Chladni patterns). Cymatics are generated by amplifying a musical tone onto a resonant surface (similar to a drum head) which is covered by grains of sand, or a similar medium. At certain frequencies, the sand forms intricate geometric patterns. These patterns are similar to what was carved into the chapel walls (judge for yourself from the video below. the matching is a bit tenuous to my eye). The Mitchells call their composition, based on the carvings (plus traditional lyrics translated into Latin), The Rosslyn Motet. It will debut on May 18, 2007 in a performance at the chapel.

Here's a video produced by the Mitchells showing some of their work (note that the music in the background is part of the Rosslyn Motet):


Musical Pattern Mysteries of Rosslyn Chapel

Ernst Chladni originally documented the appearance of musical patterns in 1787 by vibrating a fine powder on a metal plate to frequencies of sounds. Since the discovery, these mysterious patterns have been dubbed Cymatics by modern science. The very interesting thing is that Ernst's 18th century discovery appears to be found in the 15th century Rosslyn Chapel. Thomas Mitchell spent 20 years attempting to unlock this ancient mystery, examining 215 blocks presumed to be encoded musical cubes found along the pillars and arches inside Rosslyn Chapel. Each block seems to show a clear understanding of Cymatics well before Chladni's time. Freemasons designed and built the chapel to include symbols of the Knights Templar, believed by some as a preservation of the society's secrets. Geometry of sound dates back to ancient Egyptian and Chinese cultures. It is also a key belief in Freemasonry's structure of life in the cosmos. For inquiring minds alike, these musical cubes are definitely intriguing on multiple levels, and present an entirely new a sense of dimension to Rosslyn Chapel's mysteries.

Apprentice Pillar


Ap. Pillar (Fg. 7-2)

Do these cubes hint at a secret language, or knowledge carved into chapel walls? Along with theories of Rosslyn being an inter-dimensional portal, the musical cubes add to its complexity suggesting it is definitely more than a temple of creative celebratory decoration. Another beautiful artwork found within Rosslyn is the famous Apprentice Pillar. At first glance, a twisting design wrapping around the pillar seems to represent the double helix structure found in DNA molecules. This is the same structure synonymous with most renditions of the Tree of Life found in the artworks of several ancient cultures around the world. Perhaps the musical cubes are able to unlock a secret knowledge of life, or at least part of the missing information mankind has somehow lost to history. Studying Rosslyn may provide us with a deeper insight about mankind through music, and help us to further understand complex artworks of the Knights Templar.


Sports

  • Steve Archibald - footballer
  • Bertie Auld - footballer and manager
  • Tommy Burns - footballer and manager
  • Kenny Dalglish - footballer and manager
  • Tommy Docherty - footballer and manager
  • Ian Durrant - footballer
  • Sir Alex Ferguson - football legend and manager
  • Barry Ferguson - footballer
  • Glasgow Mid Argyll - The 1973 Camanachd winning team - shinty
  • Arthur Graham - footballer - Aberdeen, Leeds United, Manchester United, Bradford City and Scotland.
  • Gerry Hughes - first deaf yachtsman to cross the Atlantic Ocean
  • Gary Jacobs - boxer
  • Mo Johnston - footballer
  • Benny Lynch - Scotland's first boxing champion
  • Stephen Maguire - snooker player
  • Ally MacLeod - football manager
  • Drew McIntyre - WWE champion (studied and trained to wrestle in Glasgow)
  • Danny McGrain - footballer
  • Members of the 1972 UEFA Cup Winners Cup team (Rangers FC): Alex MacDonald and Willie Johnston
  • Members of The Lisbon Lions (Celtic FC) winners of the European Cup, to date the only Scottish team to do so: Ronnie Simpson, Jim Craig, Bobby Murdoch, Stevie Chalmers and Bertie Auld
  • Alex McLeish - Scotland Manager and footballer
  • Philippa York (previously known as Robert Millar) - cyclist
  • Willie Miller - Football player for Aberdeen and Scotland
  • Colin Montgomerie - golfer
  • David Moyes - football manager
  • Andy Murray - Scotland's highest ranked tennis player.
  • Andrew Robertson - footballer, Liverpool and Scotland. UEFA Champions League winner 2019.
  • Alan Rough - goalkeeper, Partick Thistle and Scotland
  • Alison Sheppard - swimmer
  • Callum Skinner - Olympic gold medal winning cyclist
  • John Wark - Scottish footballer
  • Jim Watt - Boxer
  • Paul Weir - two-time world champion boxer

16 Facts that Prove Rosslyn Chapel is the World’s Captivating Chapel

One of the most iconic buildings in the world is the enigmatic Rosslyn Chapel, a small church building during the fifteenth century just a few miles south of Scotland&rsquos capital city, Edinburgh. What interests some people are the stone carvings that cover the chapel&rsquos entire interior surface, and much of its exterior, as well. For others, the intrigue lays in the stories that are told about the chapel. Some have said that its founder was trying to leave a message for future generations to one day decipher. After all, the chapel was built during a time when illiteracy in Europe was high, and book-burning was common, so he left a message in stone that many people now are trying to understand.

Drawing of the interior of Rosslyn Chapel. mythormorph.

16. William Sinclair Built Rosslyn Chapel in 1446

Very little is known about the people who actually constructed Rosslyn Chapel, particularly the stonemasons who created the intricate carvings that line both the interior and the exterior of the building. For many people, the whole place is shrouded in mystery, as its engravings have themes that are Christian, pagan, and even Masonic, though the chapel was built centuries before the organization known as the Freemasons came into existence. Much of its grandeur comes not from the building itself but the stories emanating from it.

One thing that is known is that it was originally founded in 1446 by a man named William Sinclair, who was the Prince of Orkney. Many of the documents relating to his own life and the origins of the chapel were destroyed in a fire, but some are preserved at the National Scottish Library in nearby Edinburgh. They show that the set out to construct a marvelous building and that he paid his workers quite handsomely &ndash regular masons received a salary of 10 pounds per year, equivalent to 50,000 pounds today, far above today&rsquos living wage. Master masons earned as much as 40 pounds a year, 200,000 pounds in today&rsquos money.


Assista o vídeo: Cymatic Music